Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I inherited a Marlin model 1894 in cal. 25-20. The serial # seems to be 3370xx, but the first two numbers are poorly formed and hard to read. It shoots well, although my eyes don't work well enough any more to shoot a very tight group with open sights. The gun's exterior appears to be in excellent condition, except sometime in the past someone tried to remove the barrel with a pipe wrench or the like, leaving some scars around the base of the barrel. I will try to post some photos eventually. Can anyone tell me about that serial number? Any other comments of note?

·
Registered
130 Posts
cjwils: Welcome to MO. You might want to edit your post to show "x" for the last 3 digits of your serial #. There is a reference further down the Forum that has serial # range/year of manufacture; your's appears to be 1906. The 25/20 is a spendy proposition if you don't handload- if you do handload it's a lot of fun for not a lot of $. I had the mag tube on my 1894CL replaced with one that goes to the end of the barrel and I use it for CAS from time to time just to have something different. I always get my brass back 'cause no one else can use it. I get good results with Fed#100 small pistol primer, a dollop of 2400 and an 85 gr cast RNFP.

Be safe. Have fun.

Vic

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I am curious about why there is a concern with posting the complete serial number. I have also seen other gun forums where they don't generally show complete numbers. Can someone tell me why posting my complete serial number might be detrimental?

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
cjwils, the reason you do not use the complete serial number is that someone could take that number and make , model and report is as stolen, then you would be the one in trouble. You would have to show proof of ownership, when, where purchased, possible court action and more unpleasant stuff. That is the reason for only using partial aerial numbers, usually last three are shown as XXX. Hope this explains the reason and please, for your peace of mind edit your post, take care, John.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see your point, glockmeister, but so far I do not see any way that I can edit text that I already posted. Can someone explain how to do that? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there cjwils -- When you are looking at your post and logged in... Look to the upper right hand corner of the post and you should see "quote" "modify" side by side there. Click "modify" and the box that you originally typed your post in will appear. You can now do whatever... like delete the numbers you desire to eliminate in the serial number. Then looks towards the bottom and outside the box and click on the word "save" and it will return edited to the thread. Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
glockmeister said:
cjwils, the reason you do not use the complete serial number is that someone could take that number and make , model and report is as stolen, then you would be the one in trouble. You would have to show proof of ownership, when, where purchased, possible court action and more unpleasant stuff. That is the reason for only using partial aerial numbers, usually last three are shown as XXX. Hope this explains the reason and please, for your peace of mind edit your post, take care, John.
Just curious, but wouldn't the person claiming gun as stolen have to prove they owned it first?? This is still America??
Or, is there something I don't understand. This is not a facetious question. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
It would probably become a he said/they said situation. With whoever has the best proof winning out. But better to avoid the situation in the first place.

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
Out here on the west coast, when you purchase a rifle (legally) it is registered with the DOJ. Of course you can buy private party and forego the registration, but I would imagine you'd have a bill of sale etc. I am not necessarily advocating registering of firearms, but anything you buy off auction sites has a record, because I believe all go through an FFL on receiving end. Everything I've purchased in the last 6 years is registered. They know where I live.
I will remember to leave those last three xxx, because I already know how to date a Marlin levergun.

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
I have always deleted serials numbers and post only the first two digits just because no one else needs to know what the whole serial number is... in addition I edit all pictures showing serial numbers.

For example - on later Marlins a machine reads the Laser Dot Code under the hammer to "burn" the LASER SERIAL NUMBER on the side of the receivers so I did this to the pictures to prevent anyone from decoding the number sequence:

Just better to be safe than sorry.

GB45

1 - 10 of 10 Posts