Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In the process of going through deceased family members collection and educating myself on Marlins as until 2 hours ago had not fired one. So far have identified model 94, 39a maybe a 39?(cant find model on gun but appears very old serial number is just behind stock on bottom of gun not under lever).
Anyway figured before figuring which ones to sell and which I should keep would spend some time on here. So far decided need a 39a, having fun trying out various guns as I go through them. IMG_2781.JPG IMG_2780.JPG

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Hello and Welcome to Marlin Owners from the State of South Dakota
Welcome Aboard, Enjoy the Journey
444GS2

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Hello ratroddy
Welcome to MarlinOwners from New York!!! :tee:

Sorry to hear of your family member passing. I hope you can take your mind off of it here while reading all about Marlins and many other good things..

Enjoy
BloodGroove4570

·
Banned
2,263 Posts
Welcome from Montana. Sorry for your loss of a Family member. You might want to think twice about getting rid of any old Marlins though... they just don't make them like that anymore. Clean them, hold them, shoot them for awhile before you decide. My guess is you will be infected by then, and unable to part with any of them.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
I'm sure you will learn lots here. Sorry you lost a family member.

·
Registered
10,613 Posts
Howdy and Welcome from a small bluff in W TN.
Sorry for your loss.
What caliber 94 you got? A lot of these are bringing a good penny these days. Myself I'd probably hold on to the 94s also, what am I saying, I wouldn't sell any of them. Just ask questions, there is alot of knowledgeable people around, that will help you.

·
Registered
292 Posts
One thing is for sure - if you tried to locate one of those to buy, you would spend the rest of your life doing it. Welcome - think about insurance.

Reactions: COYOTE222

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cant keep them all, way to many will have to select a few. Model 94 that I have researched so far is 38-40 cal

Reactions: whiskers

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
Welcome from Goldthwaite, TX! Glad you've joined us! We offer sympathy on your loss as well. There are a lot of experts here on Marlin Owners, so use all our expertise to help make the decision on what to keep and what to let go! Think through any decisions very carefully, because there are folks out there who will take advantage of your situation! I don't think you'll find anyone here who is not honest and straightforward. We don't always agree, but we do all believe that Marlins (particularly the older ones) are the finest rifles ever made! John

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dont have to sell any right away, have secure storage for now. Will probably list what I have and see what ones I should keep based on info here, they were prized and as all his guns something special about each one.

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...

Reactions: ratroddy

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Sorry for your loss, PLEASE take your time. The rifles are not costing you money, and it appears you have some highly collectable rifles. Unless you need the cash flow, keep them all. You may regret selling any of them in the future. As posted earlier, there are alot of folks here to help you.Ask questions,. Alot of questions.

·
Premium Member
6,516 Posts
Hello and Welcome to Marlinowners from Pennsylvania!!
Sorry for your loss.

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Hello and welcome to Marlinowners from Louisiana!!!!

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Hello and Welcome from Kentucky! Sorry for your loss, is there a family member that has any interest? It would be a family treasure for sure
BoB

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owners from a little piece of Heaven in Sullivan County, the Gem of the Endless Mountains of Pennsylvania.
Sorry to here about the death of a loved one, he will rest in peace knowing you are taking care of his prized collection.

Coyote222

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Welcome aboard

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
In the process of going through deceased family members collection and educating myself on Marlins as until 2 hours ago had not fired one. So far have identified model 94, 39a maybe a 39?(cant find model on gun but appears very old serial number is just behind stock on bottom of gun not under lever).
Anyway figured before figuring which ones to sell and which I should keep would spend some time on here. So far decided need a 39a, having fun trying out various guns as I go through them. View attachment 101834 View attachment 101835
ratroddy, Looks every bit like my 1892, but for two things. My model number is on the top tang, which yours obviously is not. And you have two more screws on the left side of the reciever that I'd suspect were fillers for where some sort of scope mount or reciever sight might go. So ultimately not a positive id. And I'm not sure what the models subsequent to the 1892 looked like.

Sorry for your loss - but follow what others have said here and I'd go slow; sounds like you relative had some nice rifles. A 38-40 is one I'd like to have.

Marlin 1892 Made in 1902 22 (0).JPG

·
Super Moderator
16,013 Posts
WELCOME FROM OLYMPIA, WA; IN THE GREAT PACIFIC NORTHWEST - THE "ORIGINAL MARLIN®" (North Haven, CT Rifles) COUNTRY!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts