Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I been using these $39.00 binoculars (I think they WERE 10X32), for
years, BUSHNELL. I have defended them when my buddies tell me
that I needed a "quality" pair. I have used them for about 10 years.

trouble is, I used them Archery hunting (September), this year
when I got back into modern firearm, I never thought about the
frosty mornings of Nov, In Wa state. So I grab the 45/70, my
Bushnell binocs, and start into a clear cut......... seen movement
about 100 yards ahead, It was a deer, I could make out a rack,
but to be sure.. I pull out the Bushnells, they were all fogged up !!!
I spent about 5 seconds wiping them off, when I glassed the deer a
again.......I seen the antlers it was a 3 point. So I pull up the 45/70
just in time to see a tail heading into the thicket. BOY WAS I PISSED !
IF I didn't spent the time wiping off the lense, I really think I would
of gotten him. I threw the binoculars down. and walked away.
Still learning lessons !!!

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
I think you got your moneys worth out of them in the past by the amount of use they got.... Nothing sealed last for ever... thats why warrenty's are given

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, I used them for 10 years, but that was at 60 - 70 degree weather.

first time I use them and its 35 degrees out. they pooped out on

me. upsetting cause about a week before the incident, I was over

doing some glassing with a buddy, my binocs did the same thing,
we were looking at an eagles nest. My Bushnells fogged up, I
used his with no problem, his I can't remember their name they
were out of the cabella's catalog, he paid I believe $ 79.00 for them
worked flawlessly.

·
Registered
8,076 Posts
Bytor-The same thing happened to me this year.The same Bushnell but compacts and a real old Weaver K-4 scope all bit the dust in one storm from hell..Raining and snowing periodically sideways but as money has it and my record with the Bushnells I will by them again after years of perfect use but keep them under the tops of clothing this time.

The Weaver scope was ancient even older than me and it was do I guess..

Jayco

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Jay.........they had scopes on flintlocks????

·
Registered
8,076 Posts
O.K..Tubby and Jake.Thats it.Below the belt antics. :lol: Pay backs are a .....?

The truth is.My wife and son both had Bushnells in the same storm and they survived just fine.We gave like $29.95 for the 10X whatever Compacts in camo even.The Bushnells have given me years of great use without a problem...I must of had a "Blem" a "Tubba" or a "Wyoming" version in Logging Terms a "Kull" throwback-Non Keeper etc etc. :lol: :lol:

My $30 dollar Tasco "Whitetail Hunter" 3-9X that came on my .300 Win Mag withstood it all and many many hot rounds thru it when Iv'e seen Leupolds give up the ghost on smaller calibers...It happens..Not to often..but it does.Heck for the price of shipping for sending the Leupold back in you can by a new "Good Scope" :lol: :lol:

Just joking as I've never been rich enough to buy one.Weavers were and are my top dollar scope.

Poor old Jayco.

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Would someone PLEASE send Jay a good scope. I know some have extras and he needs to experience what clarity does for old, worn out eyes. :lol:

·
Registered
729 Posts
Is someone trying to say Jayco looks like Mr. Magoo stumbling around in the woods. :shock: :lol:

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
jayco, what did they make scopes out of before there was dirt? Hi! BestLever

G

·
BYTOR. Sounds like you may have had the binocs inside your coat where your body heat kept them warm. Once you removed them they would naturally cloud up as they hit the cold air. Possible? POWDERMAN. :) :) :) :)

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
NOPE... they were over my shoulder, along my side outside my coat.

I've had them for about 8-9 years..... maybe the pressurized air
or "gas" has leaked out a bit. I think as someone else mentioned.....
I got my use outta them. SO I guess maybe, I shouldn't complain.
Heck, in 6 months when I shop around for another pair...... I'll
probably end up getting "BUSHNELL" again anyways,

One thing I didn't mention...... my kid has used them about half
a dozen times for Seahawk/Mariner games..........Maybe I should
just be grateful they were in one piece !!!!!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Bytor, If you could wipe the condensation off the lense they didn't fog up. If the problem was internal you would be unable to wipe the lenses to clear them off.

Of course the new bushnells have raingard (some models) to prevent water on the outside of the lenses. I don't know how well it works as I don't own any bushnell scopes or binoculars. Regards, Byron

·
Registered
183 Posts
jaycocreek said:
Bytor-The same thing happened to me this year.The same Bushnell but compacts and a real old Weaver K-4 scope all bit the dust in one storm from hell..Raining and snowing periodically sideways but as money has it and my record with the Bushnells I will by them again after years of perfect use but keep them under the tops of clothing this time.

Jayco
Jayco.....

Not sure what Weaver scope you have, but some of the older ones that are still in use, aren't nitrogen filled. I don't know what year Weaver started nitrogen fill....probably in the 50's. Since, as you say, it was raining and snowing periodically, I'd say this is about the worst of conditions a scope can endure....especially without the nitrogen. Your old Weaver probably would've done much better at lower, or higher temperatures.

The older Weaver scopes were quality offerings for their times, but these days, some of the cheap scopes are just as good as they ever were. Not all of them, of course. I believe quality control was much better way back then, each being individually tested and checked. These days, only a sampling of lot numbers are checked.....if they pass, ALL will pass!

hog

·
Registered
8,076 Posts
hogship-My Weaver is ancient.Had it since my teenage years and have never had to adjust it ever since sighted in.It is A-O.K. now though.Like you said..In it's day it was a fine optic but like myself those days are over. :lol: The newer Tasco that was already on the .300 Win Mag I got for pocket money has done extremely well shooting "High Energy" 180's and 200's.I figured when I got the .300 from one who needed cash bad the scope would go in a hurry but years later that cheap thing is right on the money and clear as a bell.Go Figure.

I just can't justify spending the bucks for something I only shoot two or three times a year if the one I already have does the job and well.One day I suppose it will bite the dust but untill then I have other needs to spend what little I have money wise on.

Take care..........Jayco

1 - 15 of 15 Posts