Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to a mix-up with Leadheads Bullets, I ordered 250 of their 310 grain WFNGC .432" bullets to use in the 444 but received 500 of them.
They are a little too large in diameter for the tight chambered 445 Encore I am currently developing heavy cast loads for.
Consequently I seriously doubt I will ever be able to shoot all 500 of these bullets.
Playing around with some intelligent packing, I managed to fit 120 of them into a 50 count True-Shot 310 box.
It's a solid brick and weighs 5 lb. 6.1 oz.
I will send one of you this box if you pay the shipping.
A medium flat rate box is $13.45. A "regional rate A" box is $8.10.
I am not sure how to get the regional rate as it is "one click shipping" only.

Here's the deal:
I want these to go to someone who will actually go out and hunt with them.
I have not yet developed a load for them.
If Starrbow is listening maybe he will share his "accuracy load @ 2400fps":
http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/444-marlin/133672-next-test-455gr-sg-310gr-lead-head-325gr-mm-220gr-30cal-nosler-partition-6.html
Reloader 7 or H322 may be the best powders although I am sure H4198 would work too.
That's what I have been using for all bullets weighing less than 300 grains so far.
Whoever takes these has to promise to give us reports about load development and hunting results within say 6 months or so.
I am patient.
I have also lost the use of the nearest range I was shooting 444's at.
So did everyone else.
This may be temporary, but it is the main reason I am running the 445 and 44 Special now at an indoor range with my new LabRadar and the Magnetospeed.
Here are pictures of the Leadhead next to its closest cousins in my inventory:
They are a little beat up as they are my testers for COAL and other fit and function trial runs.
300grainWFN44bullets-2-800.jpg 300grainWFN44bullets800.jpg

Please msg me if you want to take on this project.

I am near to emptying another True-shot box (they go in the 445's) and may offer another one of these when I do.
Stay tuned.

·
Banned
4,733 Posts
Since you were honest I will be too.

I'd like to have them but can't promise to shoot them anytime soon because fall hunting season is on its way. It may be a few years before I use them.

If nobody else steps up meeting your criteria, I would appreciate consideration.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I have a 444Xlr and a farm I shoot at right up the road from me...I would gladly take on this project if someone was to help with a starting and max load with these 310 grn bullets.i am new to reloading so this info would help.sending u a PM.
Sincerely
KeithWalters

·
Super Moderator
7,944 Posts
It looks like the OT is a copy of the Leadhead 300grainer, I've shots thousands of those Leadheads over the years, and took deer with them in both the 44Mag and 444 Marlins. Terminal performance is off the charts in the 444. I learned to love wide meplats with the Leadheads, great offer from nemo288, what's not to like about free bullets. My load for the Leadhead 300gr is my lot of Reloader#7 at 50 grains, with a Federal GN215M primer, deer thumper for sure.

Reactions: Pereira and Vooch

·
Registered
63 Posts
I love to work on those for elk season. Let me know if everyone else falls through, been shooting the BTB 290, but wanted to try out a 310, is this leatherhead in Nampa Idaho? Wonder if they still have them, just purchased 500 240's powder coated. Didnt think they had 310's.

Reactions: Vooch

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
All three of those are good looking bullets. How do the Leadheads feed in a Marlin? Wonder if they would work in my H&R 444? DP

Reactions: Pereira

·
Premium Member
11,276 Posts
I'll throw my hat in the ring for consideration also.

Thanks, either way very generous offer.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have decided KDog gets the first box.
He is new to reloading so hopefully we can get him dialed in with this load.
I'll keep this thread on hand for when I offer the next box.

KDog: The first step is to determine your COAL.
Load up a dummy with no powder or primer that is too long. Say 2.7"
Then start pushing the bullet in about .01" at a time and test it thru your gun to see how long you can go and still have reliable feeding.
I would then push it in another .01" and call it good.
Hopefully you will end up being able to crimp in the cannelure. This is not assured however.
If you are not at the cannelure, crimp with the Lee "factory crimp die"
LEE .444 MARLIN FACTORY CRIMP DIE
I would start around 44 grains of RL-7 and work up one grain at a time.
QuickLOAD predicts a max load of 46 grains but it is very conservative when it comes to cylindrical cases.
I would approach that 50 grain load with caution.
Accuracy is way more important than another 50 fps.
I have used the WLR primer so far but others have used a magnum primer.
Just stick with one and be consistent.

Hagermanfolloy: Leadheads Bullets is in Kansas. You can buy their bullets here:
Leadheads Bullets,Gas Checked and Plain Based Bullets

DP: I see no reason these would not work in any single or double. You may be able to increase the COAL some in fact.
My double will take much longer rounds than the Marlin will cycle correctly.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Nemo,
I feel like i won the LOTTO,,,lol.This is awesome,,,,i will be sure to get some loads worked up and report back on this thread WITH PICS of course.Although i have only been reloading as of this January i haven't had any serious blunders as of yet and expect this to go well,,,,,Like all loads I'm looking for accuracy rather than ft lbs of energy.Thankyou for the opportunity to try a new bullet,,,,i have yet to load up a gas checked bullet.

Sincerely,
Kdog
KeithWalters

·
Premium Member
11,276 Posts
NEMO I see a 300 and 320 when I click the link, but no 310 and no .432, just up to .431.

Special order needed ? Or am I just blind. :flute:

Thanks

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The 300's weigh 310. You just specify a .432 size during the order and that's what you get.
The gas check may even be a little larger.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ha I miss read that thought they were leather head bullets. HAve you ever tried BTB? How do the lead heads compare?

·
Super Moderator
7,944 Posts
Memo, why don't you get a cheap Lee sizer that fits in your press and size to what you need. Beartooths are great bullets, the wait time is long at times, but worth the wait. The Leadheads have about the largest meplat you can get in a 44cal bullet, I also use a lot of there plain base 270 grain bullets, they have the same wide meplat.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Those will work in a 44 Magnum revolver if they are not too long. They were very accurate in a Ruger Super Blackhawk. At full velocity they will shoot high so you will need a taller front sight. Recoil is brisk. Expect to penetrate just about any game animal.

Loaded to 1.710, they fed in my Marlin Cowboy. 1500 fps. Good accuracy at 50 yards but keyholes at 100 yards.

If you use a Lee 44 Magnum Factory Crimp die, you should be able to chamber the round. I would try that before you give them away. That is a hell of a 44 bullet.

·
Premium Member
11,276 Posts
The 300's weigh 310. You just specify a .432 size during the order and that's what you get.
The gas check may even be a little larger.

Thanks

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I would try that before you give them away. That is a hell of a 44 bullet.
The reason I am giving away some is that I have more than I will ever use due to an order mistake.
My main 44 magnum load uses a CP 260 WFNGC and is extremely accurate in the Redhawk.
I do use Beartooth bullets. They are great.
Their front ends are very flat with sharp edges.
According to the wise in here their alloy is superb.
I only have a very few revolvers that shoot a true .430 bullet well.
They are the newest S&W 44 specials I have as well as the Encore .445sm barrels.
I am trending towards the BT 280 as a main bullet in the 445.
Everything else gets a .432 as most revolvers made earlier than the mid '90s have big chamber throats.

The double was regulated for the 265 FTX LE load and shoots the JFP well too at 2250 fps [46 grains of H4198].
I am hoping to develop a good load for it using either the 260 mentioned above or a 265-270 WFNGC from someone.
It has bores that are clones of the Marlin MG.

·
Registered
970 Posts
About five years ago i bought a "lifetime" supply (800) 310g LWNGC bullets because they were marked down about 70%. These bullets were gone in less than two years. If you have leverguns you can't have too many bullets.

BB

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My main problem is getting to the range.
There are indoor handgun ranges fairly nearby but 100 yard rifle ranges have
been disappearing for years around here and the one I was using (only 40 yards) may have just died.
I can push things at the indoor range I use most often as they allow revolver rounds in long guns,
but I do not want to fall foul of the rules as I like the guy who owns the place and in fact work for his wife at a YMCA pool.
I am working up a small presentation that shows that the 444 is in the same ballpark as a 500 S&W magnum shot in a carbine.
That would be at the top end of momentum allowed for their backstop.
They use the small mountain of rubber chips method.
Looks like the same stuff we have in our campus football field.
The crumbs might be a bit bigger at the range.
They have a machine that sifts out the lead weekly and they recycle it all.

I have been collecting components slowly for years now.
I am on SS and have a fixed income but try to squeeze out $100 every month for bullets.
I buy what is available as stuff comes and goes.
This has allowed me to pretty much ignore the shortages except for having to try out new powders.
Once I find a powder I like, an 8 pounder is going to last me awhile. Maybe forever. :)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts