Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any reason to only shoot one over the other, accuracy notwithstanding? All copper jacketed .22 I see are hollow point and all lead round nose (Blazer or Peters the only ones I can buy locally) are not. Does anyone exclusively shoot one over the other?

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
I don't think it makes much difference. The 22 bullets that look jacketed are actually plated and not very thick either. I buy 22 ammunition when it is either on sale or cheap and usually get the bulk 550 packs by Federal and Winchester from K-Mart or Wal-Mart and the only reason I go there is I refuse to pay outlandish prices at other places. I have bought some at Gart Sports for decent deals but they are 50 miles from here.
Some 22's are finicky with what you feed them and for this reason it is good to test what works best and then buy bulk for it. Myself I have several 22 caliber rifles and pistols and I get a lot of everything. ;D ;D ;D

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
With regard to .22 LR, it depends on what you are shooting, more than anything. In the Anschutz, the bullets are standard velocity lead solids with a greasy, waxy lube. For blasting away with the Model 60, the bullets are whatever is cheap and pretty reliable, but good luck getting those reliable ones -- production seems to make the quality vary quite a bit, IMO.

I don't know that it is a copper jacketing on .22 LR's as much as it is some kind of copper wash or plating process -- pretty thin stuff. The old rule of thumb for me was scratch one with a finger nail, and see how much lube came off the bullet before you started scrathing into the lead. Some lube on a .22 LR is a good thing, that is why the bores last forever. Too much lube meant getting the Ed's Red onto it a bit more often, but still not a detriment. Alot of the plated bullets have a very thin coat of dry lube (Remington "Golden Bullets" come to mind), and while they go bang (most of the time), I see no advantage to those bullets that were coated with the greasier waxy lube.

EDIT: Looks like as I was typing Janott pretty well beat me to it... ;D

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
utbrowningman said:
Does anyone exclusively shoot one over the other?
I 'll do ya one better. I only shoot CCI Stingers. Jacketed & one of the fastest rimfires out there.

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
DWB said:
With regard to .22 LR, it depends on what you are shooting, more than anything. In the Anschutz, the bullets are standard velocity lead solids with a greasy, waxy lube. For blasting away with the Model 60, the bullets are whatever is cheap and pretty reliable, but good luck getting those reliable ones -- production seems to make the quality vary quite a bit, IMO.

I don't know that it is a copper jacketing on .22 LR's as much as it is some kind of copper wash or plating process -- pretty thin stuff. The old rule of thumb for me was scratch one with a finger nail, and see how much lube came off the bullet before you started scrathing into the lead. Some lube on a .22 LR is a good thing, that is why the bores last forever. Too much lube meant getting the Ed's Red onto it a bit more often, but still not a detriment. Alot of the plated bullets have a very thin coat of dry lube (Remington "Golden Bullets" come to mind), and while they go bang (most of the time), I see no advantage to those bullets that were coated with the greasier waxy lube.

EDIT: Looks like as I was typing Janott pretty well beat me to it... ;D
And I'm a two finger typer! ;D ;D ;D

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
My 925r loves cci velocitors. excellent accuracy and reliability. 40 grain hollowpoints with a very thin copper coating. A little pricey but I think the performance is worth it. I am pretty surprised by the accuracy of this rifle. Nickel size groups at 60 yards and hit small targets (pool balls etc.) at 100 yards with a little holdover.

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
CCI ammunition is one of those that was finicky in most of my rifles, I have several hundred rounds but it was given to me by a neighbor that had no use for them. Not sure what they cost these days but they were some of the most expensive 22's available when they first came out. The CCI ammunition that I have is all plated, and I do like the boxes they are sold in.

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
Unless I am mistaken, CCI manufactures most if not all rimfire ammo. made in the USA including .17cal. They just label and package it for other companies.

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
fhmusa said:
Unless I am mistaken, CCI manufactures most if not all rimfire ammo. made in the USA including .17cal. They just label and package it for other companies.
CCI is made by Speer in Lewiston Idaho unless they have moved.

·
Premium Member
9,465 Posts
I use both. My favoites at the moment are Federal Auto Match (lead) and Winchester 333's (copper plated hollow point).

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
janott said:
And I'm a two finger typer! ;D ;D ;D
Janott, you are a man of many hidden talents.

Pretty much like Janott called it... ATK owns CCI (operated out of Lewiston, ID) and Federal (operated out of Anoka, MN), while Olin Corp owns Winchester (ammo out of Clayton, MO), and Remington is operated out of Lonoke, AR. Those are the primary manufacturers of rimfire ammo domestically that I can think of right now. Eagle brand is a subsidary of Federal, UMC is a subsidary of Remington...

Anybody think of others? ???

As for the high velocity .22 LR, that is the only thing my Kimber .22 Conversion will digest consistently -- CCI, in particular. My Browning Buckmark will eat anything, but standard velocity ammo in it will start to hiccup if it is filthy. The Rugers I have had don't care for standard velocity at all. My model 60 will do about as good on anything as the Browning Buckmark, but does that same with standard velocity ammo after it gets filthy.

I still prefer the waxy lubed lead bullets -- just because they have worked so well, for so long. ;) ;D

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've never had a .22 that did not shoot what it was given. Seems I would get more squibs with Winchester, though. Went with the Blazer LRN most recently.

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
Hanson made some great 22 ammunition but have not seen any on shelves. ???

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
janott said:
Hanson made some great 22 ammunition but have not seen any on shelves. ???
Never saw any Hanson -- pretty good stuff?

Federal Gold Medal in the Anschutz, along with Aguila took my Li'l Girl to 3rd in the State (110th Nationally) about seven years ago. :D I shot Marksman, then made Sharpshooter with Aguila in Pistols -- never got closer than 8 points to Expert though. :( Eley was good in the Anschutz, but the price tag was enough to gag on, while Fed Gold Medal and Aguila did just as well. The CCI standard velocity was almost as good as the green tag, but nearly as good as the pistol match in the handgun for competition. The CCI didn't do nearly as well in the long barrel of the Anschutz - chrono'ing it showed some pretty inconsistent velocities.

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
I used to see Hanson at a local gun shop long gone and when I had my FFL I would order it, probably still could order it but do not want to pay shipping. It was a mild 22lr that was very accurate and came in a grey black and white box if I remember correctly, but then again I don't remember much. ;D

·
Premium Member
18,033 Posts
DWB said:
while Olin Corp owns Winchester (ammo out of Clayton, MO),
As far as I know, Olin's headquarters are located in Clayton Mo, but their rimfire division was relocated to Alabama a few years ago.

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
papajohn said:
As far as I know, Olin's headquarters are located in Clayton Mo, but their rimfire division was relocated to Alabama a few years ago.
Thanks for the clarification on that one... I wasn't able to find much info where Winchester ammo is actually manufactured, seems like they have move a few times in the last 10 or 20 years.

Where was the Hanson ammo made?

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
Did a little research on them and found that a lot of the pistol ammunition was imported, but Hanson was out of Southport, CT.

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
Well, I stand corrected. Many different manufacturers of .22s and .22 wmrs. But to the best of my knowledge CCI is the only company that loads .17hmr ammo.

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
I try to keep CCI Standard Velocity, CCI Blazer, and Federal Champion solids on hand. Had switched to copper plated round a few years back for no reason, and found them to be inaccurate. I've heard their bullets are not manufactured to as tight of tolerances since they are never really used for match competition. I figure lead is easier on the bores, anyway. My new CZ has seen nothing but lead, so far, and will stay that way.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts