Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the consensus on shooting lead indoors?

I am a member of a gun club and our pistol range is indoors. It is ventilated, how well ventilated it is I dunno. But I need to save some money somewhere, so I was wondering about shooting lead indoors

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
The real lead problem shooting indoors comes from primers. The additional risk from lead bullets is very small. If your range has proper ventilation, shooting lead bullets is no problem. If your range doesn't have proper ventilation than shooting at all puts you at risk.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Back in the '80s, I lived in Manchester NH. The local police had an indoor range, very old, and probably not too well ventilated. One day the range supervisor keeled over dead; an autopsy revealed that he died of lead poisoning due to years of working in the old range. Needless to say, the PD closed the range. They tested other officers who only shot there for qualification, and found no big problems.

I agree that primers are the real culprit on airborne lead. Most (but not all) primers contain lead styphenate, which is the problem. If I were you I'd just make darn sure the range is well ventilated, then shoot and have fun.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts