Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you have a lead load for your 30-30? What kind of fps does it shoot? Popgun or hunting load? Anyone using the lyman 31141 mould? Thinking about designating one gun just to play with lead. Maybe even work on a paperpatch load. Thanks, Rick

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Lee 150 grain FPGC (C309-150-F ). Cast of wheelweights, lubed with Lee liquid Alox and sized .310 loaded over 29 grains of IMR 3031. 1,924 fps average, 2.25 inch 5 shot groups at 100 yards and no leading in my 30AS.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
All I shoot in my 30-30 is cast lead. For plinking, a gallery load of 5.0 gr. of unique and a 115 gr. cast bullet. For serious hunting, the RCBS 30-180-FN gas check bullet over 28.0 gr. of W-748 for 1950 FPS. Darn good deer slayer.
Regarding Lyman's #31141 or 311041 as they now catalog it, I have two of those molds, plus and NEI mold that si a copy. I have nine rifles in 30-30 and there ain't a one of them that will shoot staright with that bullet. Everyone I know has great luck with it, but not me. Another bullet you might consider is Lyman's #311291. it's been a great bullet in every 30 caliber rifle I've tried it in. The round nose hasn't been a problem for me in tube magazines and I load that bullet when cast of wheel weight metal to 2,000 FPS. It too does a number on der.
Paul B.

G

·
Paul,

With your 115grn cast bullet load with 5.0grns Unique. Is that a plain base bullet and do you use any filler with it? I bought a box of bullets like this (cheap) and they don't seem to be good for anything else unless I melt them down. BM

Bill

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
I have the exact load that Paul B uses. Also can use that bullet with 2230. Can't remember the exact dose here, but it is about 26gr. for the same velocity and point of aim. I also use the 311041 and get very good accuracy with Win brass, WLR primers and wheel weights water quenched with whatever dose of 3031 you want. I will use 23gr. for plinking and go up to 28gr. or so. Never shot a deer with it. Be interested to see what would happen...

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Blue Moon. I have, I think four different bullets in that weight range.
Two are Lyman; #3118 is a plain based hollow point bullet, probably long discontinued, #311316 is a flat point gas checked bullet, then there's a Lee 113gr. flat point gas checked bullet and a 110 gr. SAECO round nosed bevel based bullet. So far, the #311316 and the SAECO have been the best shooters, and at only 5.0 gr. of Unique, you don't have to worru about the round nose affecting the primers in the magazine. I may have one other in that weight range, but it's number and configuartion escape at this time. :oops: Also, I just got the Lee a little while ago and haven't loaded it up yet.
The filler I use is really high tech. :roll: I take a square of toilet paper and cut it into four squares. each square is rolled up into a loose ball and tamped down on the powder. I use a big spike (very large nail) with the point ground flat to push the paper, or dacron in other loadings into the case. Hope this helped.
Paul B.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts