Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried the search but not much surfaced.
Do any of you have experience with loading lead free bullets in the 450 Marlin that will also be safe to use in the tube magazine?
What bullets do you use?
I have some of the Barnes hollow points that I bought to try out in the 458 WinMag, but they don’t look flat enough on the front to be safe in a tube magazine.

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
If nothing else, you could make up a jig to take some material off the nose to give them a different profile. Something like a case trim die that uses a file. One for .44 special should support the bullet enough and not get it stuck in the die.

Reactions: Gareth Holland

·
Read Only
1,038 Posts
I tried the search but not much surfaced.
Do any of you have experience with loading lead free bullets in the 450 Marlin that will also be safe to use in the tube magazine?
What bullets do you use?
I have some of the Barnes hollow points that I bought to try out in the 458 WinMag, but they don’t look flat enough on the front to be safe in a tube magazine.
mightytall,

You are in luck. Check out some of the 100% alloy bullets designed for the 458 SoCom. You will find 300 to 500 gr options. However, because they are lead free, they run long for weight. You may need to stay on the lower weight end to ensure the twist rate in your barrel will stabilize the bullet.

You may want to look at the Barnes Bullets website for a start.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just started reloading for my Browning BLR take down in 450 Marlin. Hornady Monoflex 250 grs and Barnes TTSX 300 grs. Next week they will hit the range at 50 and 100 meters (I hope).

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you don’t want to wait, check the hodgdon reloading page.
There are some loads for the 450 Marlin.

·
Premium Member
6,797 Posts
Not yet. I have fired them at targets and the accuracy is good. I loaded them because I wanted a load that would exit a big hog. I have no doubt they will be devastating. After deer season has closed, I'll concentrate on hogs. Right now, I am trying to get a shot on a hog or two using my suppressed 45-70 and subsonic loads. They are whisper quiet. That way, I won't disturb the deer much while the season is open. I aready have four deer at the processor having them made into link sausage (Polish mild and cheese & jalapenos), boudin, deer sticks (similar to slim jims), summer sausage and Jerky.

T.S.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’m not sure about these No.10 Phillips bits looking bullets.
Seems super gadgety to me.
Are they fully flat or still slightly pointed, like having a cutoff nib or something?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Barnes 250gr.TSX FN FB is what I use in my 1895GS 45/70 for black bear, they work perfectly. I recovered one from the head of a 305lb bear, fully intact, with textbook/picture perfect expansion. Another from a 185lb bear, pass through one shoulder, stopped inside the other shoulder, all intact, except one petal, might have been picked off with knife while digging it out. These also come in 300gr. I push the 250gr. at 1904fps , chronographed at 40yds, shooting one ragged hole with a red dot sight.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
For factory fodder I use gmx 250 gr Hornady mono.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts