Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a good, gas checked, lead bullet available that works well in the 1894C?

I would like to use the 185gr, GC Beartooth bullets but they don’t seem to load very well
There is a 165gr, FN, BTB that may work. It doesn’t have a GC but it’s a BB. What’s this mean? Big Base
What velocity do I need to stay under to prevent excess leading?
Any recommended loads for the 165gr BTB? I’m not looking for anything hot, just a load that will work in the Marlin and a S&W 28-2

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
The Cast Performance 180 grain WFN is a great bullet if you are buying instead of casting. But frankly, for the price of gas checked cast, you can buy premium jacketed.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=827283
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=552814

You can push gas checked cast to the limits of the .357 magnum cartridge very easily. Bevel based (BB) top speed is a complex issue that depends on many variables, bullet fit and bore condition on your particular firearm foremost among them.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I use Dardas 158 gr in my 1894 and they work very well. They're a non gas check, bevel base bullet. I load them with 13.5 gr AA#9, so it's not a weak load by any means, and I have no problem with leading.
Many factors are involved with leading prevention, but the most critical is probably bullet fit. A cast bullet needs to be at least .001" bigger than the bore to provide a good seal. Also, matching bullet speed and hardness is important.
Too much speed with a soft bullet will result in leading due to the soft compound not being able to withstand the high pressures. Conversely, a hard bullet traveling too slowly will also lead. This is because the lower pressure load won't expand the base of the bullet into the rifle, allowing gasses to get around the bullet. Buller base expansion is called obturation and it's critical to proper performance.
If you're going to use a bullet bigger than 158 gr, be aware that you might run into OAL problems. Obviously every gun is a little bit different, but most will have a hard time with an OAL greater than 1.590", and a 180 gr bullet might put you over the limit.
If that's the case you have two options. You can seat the bullet a little deeper and adjust your load accordingly, or you can modify your carrier to accept the longer cartridge. I prefer the latter option because it's a very simple mod that can be done with common hand tools and you won't have to worry about potentially having an over pressure situation.
To find out how to do this mod go to the "Gunsmithing" forum and loo for a post entitled "Modifying your carrier for longer Cartridges". Or something along those lines.
GH1 :)

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
If you cast, you might want to check out Ranch Dog's offerings. Designed specifically for Marlin Lever guns.
www.ranchdogoutdoors.com

1 - 4 of 4 Posts