Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which Wilson case holder are people using for trimming the .338ME? It's not really clear on their website...

Thoughts?

·
Registered
846 Posts
I have never heard of wilson but the I use the RCBS NO.44 witch also fits the 500 S&W so if Wilson has one for that it should work also. Dennis

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Call Sinclair (google Sinclair International.) I think you can talk to the nice lady and see if they have one available. If not, they used to custom make them for you, All they need is a reamer. They may want you to send them a fired case from your rifle. I have bought several different calibers from them. Good luck, Jack
PS. Huntington may also carry them.

EDIT: Sinclair International, Inc----800-717-8211

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
If I had a 338ME I would check and see if it fit any of the case holders. I have a good collection of the different available case holders and the best I could do is look up a diagram of a 338ME case and go from there but it seems to me that the 338ME case was originally developed from the 308 Winchester case and necked up but not certain. I do know that they wanted a rifle with more range but less kick than a standard medium bore.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all, I'll try Sinclair, and honestly didn't think about asking for a custom holder from Wilson... Must be getting old... ;)

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
Call Wilson direct, cut out the middle man.
All you need is the diameter on both ends of the case (excluding the neck)

I have the 308 shell holder.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
The .308 may well work. I think you can use the same one all the way from .243 through .358. I dont think they are any cheaper direct from Wilson, and I have had great service from Sinclair. Your choice. I edited my first post to include the correct company name and the phone number. Good day, Jack

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
I go direct from Wilson because they are 150 miles from me.

Be advised, they make two holders for each case, a new & fired holder.
I use only the new holder on all my cases (full length sized) except 30-30, which I have one of each.
The 30-30 cases dont fit the fired holder.

·
Registered
429 Posts
The 338ME case was developed from the 376 Steyr not the 308 Winchester. I don't know if that will help, but thats what I read before I bought the rifle myself. Since I am about to start reloading, this might be something I will need to know as well.

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
I was not sure but though that I had read the parent cartridge was the 308. The Wilson case trimmer is the first one that I purchased when I started to reload and the case holders are hard to find. I have picked up a few at gun shows and was willed another complete trimmer and some more case holders. I did purchase a Lyman case trimmer that I use if I do not have an available case holder. Like Pard said, contact Wilson direct. They were located in Cashmere Washington and I would assume that is close to Pard. ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
429 Posts
I looked up the 338 ME bullets on Google and an article popped up on Petersen Rifle Shooter that says
"Based loosely on the .376 Steyr cartridge, the new .338 Marlin Express hull carries a new Hornady 200-grain Flex-Tip bullet."
I did not look for the month of the magazine but you can look it up on Google.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Followed the advice and contacted LE Wilson. This is their response...

That would be a speical holder. Cost is $30.50 for US customers. That included the holder and shipping back to you. All we need is three cases in the condition in which you intend to trim them along with your check or money order.

Thank you,

Please send to the address below,

Customer Service
L. E. Wilson Inc.
PO Box 324
404 Pioneer Ave
Cashmere, WA 98815
www.lewilson.com

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
There you go! ;D I personally like my Wilson case trimmers more than any others because it trims the cases straight and true which I'm certain is best for accuracy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts