Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My gas (2-cycle premix) powered string trimmer has fuel tubing that lives submerged in the fuel tank. Every couple of seasons the engine starts to run only with the choke almost full closed - tell tale sign that the tubing inside the tank has hardened and broken free of the clunk weight or brass suction tube.

I've been replacing the tubing with the fuel line kit from the manufacturer but I'm getting kind of tired of having to fish out the broken pieces out of the tank every couple of years.

I've tried silicone tubing but I think I may have the wrong stuff as it starts to swell (glow fuel rated) pretty quick. I'm thinking of trying silicone model engine tubing rated for gasoline or Tygon.

My question for you guys is what kind of fuel tubing has worked for you?

TIA

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Registered
262 Posts
I've had good luck with tygon hose. I think what I used was yellow in color. I do have some equipment that still has original fuel line too though.
But I think the biggest thing that keeps my gas powered equipment running good is using non-ethanol gas. Ethanol gas has cost people more in fuel system repairs than it can ever save with the price difference.
Brian.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
We use Echo and Husqvarna trimmers and don't often experience problems with fuel lines as much as problems with ethanol fuel. Ethanol drys out the lines and causes the cracking, etc. If you happen to live near a marina, check and see if they have non-ethanol gas.

We don't keep trimmers more than a couple of years, they get more use in one year than a homeowner could give it in a lifetime. We do run into the occasional broken line and get our replacement kits from a local repair/supply shop. I think they are OEM.

For my personal home use, I recently bought an Echo 58v rechargeable. no muss, no fuss. just pop in the battery and away we go. The thing is ridiculously powerful. Not enough run time for commercial use, but for a homeowner, definitely a good option.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yep, the ethanol in today's fuel blends is what's deteriorating your fuel lines, primer bulbs and gaskets. I've switched over to using the "Trufuel" blends (ethanol free) in all of my 2-cycle equipment several years ago and no longer have those problems. The pre-mixed fuels (https://trufuel50.com/ - offered in 40:1 and 50:1) are more expensive on a $/gal rate, but the trade off is you no longer have to perform the seasonal engine tear-down/tune-up. They can be purchased at any of the big box stores as well as your local Walmart. If you have an older machine (i.e. 8:1, 16:1 or 32:1 mix), the 40:1 Trufuel mix works fine given the quality of today's processed fuel.

·
Registered
7,769 Posts
Just switched out my gas Echo trimmer for a rechargeable electric. No difference in performance.

Now, my 4 cycle gas Mantis tiller.... Won't be giving that one up. Wow.

·
Premium Member
4,946 Posts
My Stihl FS 85 ran for 20 years with nothing but a new plug and air filter, until the ethanol fuel crystallized it about 2 years ago. I replaced it with that yellow/clear tubing and changed where I bought fuel for my small egines. Started on the 3rd pull this season, a 1995 make. Same story with my Stihl chainsaw. Neither one has seen a repair shop since new. And the yellow line is still plyable, I just don't have a name for it.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies, folks.

I had a feeling it was the ethanol that was attacking the tubing. But finding ethanol-free gasoline in CA is like finding a conservative in Sacramento.

https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=CA

There are only two marinas that I know of that sell ethanol-free fuel, but my intel isn't current. Plus, I don't feel like driving 4 hours one way for a few gallons of fuel.

Looks like (yellow) Tygon (for gasoline) gets the nod:

https://www.mcmaster.com/#tygon-tubing/=1d5y5gl

I don't think there would be any advantage to using the FEP lined Tygon since it'll be submerged.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what the OEM fuel line is to compare. My guess it's whatever the Chinese have on the spool at the time they put the kit together.

Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
119 Posts
...My question for you guys is what kind of fuel tubing has worked for you?

TIA
The problem is not the tubing is the the ethanol in the fuel. The alcohol makes the tubing harder than Chinese arithmetic and it fails. You want to know what works? AVGAS, yes honest to goodness, ethanol free and leaded aviation gasoline. Unlike automotive gasoline, it is actually formulated for long term stability. It does not gum up your carburetor with varnish over the winter when you don't run your weedeater, etc out before you put it up for the winter.

How do I know this? I work at an airport as A&P/IA. I run avgas in all my 2 stroke stuff. We sell lots of avgas to guys with race cars, pulling tractors and guys with old engines that need a bit of lead. But among my most reliable non aircraft buyers of avgas are a couple of loggers who buy 300 gallon trailer fulls at a whack. The difference in price is worth it to them in saws that keep running.

I take advantage of the long term stability by using it to fuel the kicker on the sailboat. That gas may stay in the tank for a couple of seasons or longer. As I explained to my brother-in-law, "It's a SAILBOAT! If you're using the motor you'r doing it wrong."

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
My gas (2-cycle premix) powered string trimmer has fuel tubing that lives submerged in the fuel tank. Every couple of seasons the engine starts to run only with the choke almost full closed - tell tale sign that the tubing inside the tank has hardened and broken free of the clunk weight or brass suction tube.

I've been replacing the tubing with the fuel line kit from the manufacturer but I'm getting kind of tired of having to fish out the broken pieces out of the tank every couple of years.

I've tried silicone tubing but I think I may have the wrong stuff as it starts to swell (glow fuel rated) pretty quick. I'm thinking of trying silicone model engine tubing rated for gasoline or Tygon.

My question for you guys is what kind of fuel tubing has worked for you?

TIA
What is happening to the fuel tubing? Is the tubing deteriorating and leaking, swelling closed? Ethanol rated tubing shouldn't be a problem. Your filter may be clogged. The gasoline made now gets gummy in no time. You should not use any gasoline stored more than 6 mos. The crude oils used in refining nowadays is extremely heavy (low gravity) and there's very little straight run gasoline constituent in it. The gas oils(heavy and light) in the crude are used to make gasoline by rerunning them through cracking units; some thermally and some with a catalyst to further break them into lighter hydrocarbons.

·
Super Moderator
4,352 Posts
I run ethanol free fuel and most of my hand power equipment is Echo. Kubota Diesel Grasshopper mower. Stihl or Johnsred chainsaws. Thought about an Echo chainsaw.

·
Super Moderator
11,176 Posts
Ever since I stopped using gas with ethanol in it all my problems went away. I only buy (at added expense) Non-Ethanol gas from the local 76 station for use in my yard equipment and generators. The ethanol gas was ruining all my carburetors and causing the fuel lines to shrink and become hard. Unless you have a Car or lawn equipment that is made to use E85 fuel it won't stand up to gas with ethanol.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Blended gas not only attacks the fuel lines but also the carb. You'll need the carb rebuilt eventually. E-gas will do the same thing to the internal rubber parts. The only thing you can try to do to prolong the life of the fuel lines and carb is dump the gas when finished using machine and run it dry.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
A little late, but I run REDLINE synthetic oil in all of my two strokes, I figured that if it keep my YAMAHA on the sand it'll keep my saws and weed whacker running!, it seems to have some sort of stabilizer in it?, I have yet to have any issues with the Yamaha, but I did have to replace the fuel lines on my Poulan weed whacker after some years.
https://www.redlineoil.com/two-stroke-racing-oil

·
Banned
2,609 Posts
I’ve had my Echo trimmer for 8 years and have never had a problem.
Right!

We use Echo and Husqvarna trimmers and don't often experience problems with fuel lines as much as problems with ethanol fuel.
Yes

Run ethanol free fuel
Thanks

The problem is not the tubing iTs the the ethanol in the fuel. ............. AVGAS, yes honest to goodness, ethanol free and leaded aviation gasoline. ..................."
I doubt he can get AvGas in Cali that easily. BTW, those running such in a real race car are not very bright. Use race fuel for that please. AvGas is made for AIRPLANES at elevation where the O2 content differs from down on Earth as does the fuel delivery system.

I run ethanol free fuel and most of my hand power equipment is Echo......Thought about an Echo chainsaw.
Get the Echo saw next time around.

Ever since I stopped using gas with ethanol in it all my problems went away.
This

The box stores and small engine equipment dealers are stocking quarts and gallons of ethanol free fuel. It is well worth the cost if you have older small engines.
Just buy the pre-mix at Lowe's or Home Depot. It's got the right amount of oil in it and no alcochol. For an Echo it's 50:1 I think. I have an Echo blower, trimmer, and chainsaw. They're all several years old. No problems. I put E10 in my 4-stroke lawn mower and it's fine after 11 years but it doesn't have the tubing you speak of. No, the carburetor is also fine.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.