Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a late '90s 1895SS used. It is a Wild West Guns customized takedown model, what they call the Co-Pilot.

Right off the bat, first session with the gun it jammed. The lever fully engaged on the downward stroke, and the spent cartridge ejected just fine. But then the lever has zero give on the upstroke. It won't move a millimeter. The new round gets lodged halfway out of the magazine tube as the carrier is trying to push it up. (I've attached a photo.) The jammed round can be pulled into the receiver with a pair of pliers and this freed or fired. So I've repeated this operation over and over again.

It seems to me that the issue is the fresh round is not being completely transitioned to the receiver. So could the spring be weak? Could there be some kind of knick or scratch the round is getting caught on? When I have disassembled the gun I scrutinized the carrier for any sign of imperfection. What I saw did not cause me any alarm.

A few notes:
  • I've tried three different kinds of ammunition: Hornady Leverevolution, Hornady Subsonic and Federal Hammer Down. The Hammer Down have actually had two (2) successful loads. Otherwise, everything has always jammed every time.
  • After experiencing jamming with the third different kind of ammo I completely disassembled the gun and gave it a thorough cleaning.
  • I also took the opportunity of the gun being disassembled to install what WWG calls the "Lever Happy" upgrade package--a new extractor, a new trigger, and a new magazine follower.
  • I am new to lever guns but understand you have to work the lever "like you mean it." Please believe me when I say that I have tried to work this lever with enough force as I feel is safe to exert.

I am now taking the gun back to the shop where I bought it for them to look at. It's somewhat mind boggling to think they offered it for sale, because I am 100% certain if someone had tried to chamber a round in this gun it would have gotten jammed. And so it's amazing that (a) the shop bought the gun from someone in this shape and (b) the shop sold the gun to someone in this shape. Shame on me for being duped, I guess...

If anyone has any suggestions for anything else I might try, short of paying a gunsmith to fix it, I am all ears.

Thanks.
Mark
Bumper Wood Bicycle part Automotive exterior Gas

·
Super Moderator
35,978 Posts
My two cents on this......
Should have brought it back to gun shop who sold it to you! They sold you a working lever-action rile! It's the gun-shop job to make it work! If gun shop plays stupid, then you ask why didn't they tell you it jams! I bet they didn't ask you if you would like to shoot it before you bought it! Put it back like you bought it and return gun and tell them you paid for a working gun! Not one that jams!

ca'jun56

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took it back to the shop and they offered to fix it free of charge. Gunsmith said the "timing is off." No argument, no pushback. So now it's with their gunsmith.

@cajun56 - I would have taken it right back. But this is my first lever gun to own, and I assumed the problems were user error. That's why I tried multiple ammunitions and so on. But I've satisfied myself sufficiently now that it's not me, it's the gun.

·
Registered
122 Posts

Check this thread.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Check this thread.
Thank you. This sounds like exactly my problem. I will share this with the gunsmith. -Mark

·
Super Moderator
9,766 Posts
My two cents on this......
Should have brought it back to gun shop who sold it to you! They sold you a working lever-action rile! It's the gun-shop job to make it work! If gun shop plays stupid, then you ask why didn't they tell you it jams! I bet they didn't ask you if you would like to shoot it before you bought it! Put it back like you bought it and return gun and tell them you paid for a working gun! Not one that jams!

ca'jun56
I agree. A big bore rifle used for hunting and or used for Bear protection is useless if it jams especially as a primary gun. It would force you to resort to your backup pistol if a Bear was attacking you.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Thank you. This sounds like exactly my problem. I will share this with the gunsmith. -Mark
My gun has worked flawlessly eversince they grinded the carrier and got the timing right. Several hundred rounds through the gun after the fix, mostly reloaded ammo but some factory rounds too.

I hope you get your gun fixed, your problem sounds exactly the same that I had.

Air gun Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel Wood

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
If a gun will not cycle with in-spec ammo, it's just an interesting paper weight, and maybe not that interesting.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts