Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I traded on a late model 39a earlier today to give for a gift to my father in law.the guy who owned it said he bought it new in '99 and it has had misfire probs ever since.He wasn't kidding! Out of 10 shots 8 would be light strikes. I got on here in the archives and and tore the gun down. I removed the hammer spring and stacked 3 light stainless washers in behind the spring. It cured it I just went back outside and it fired 10/10. I'm still not crazy about the fit and finish of the new marlins but at least it shoots reliably now. I've got a '57 39a and a '71 39d and the new one does not compare.thanks for the info on here to solve my problem.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,596 Posts
Good job getting it fixed. Happy you were able to find help here. As far as I am concerned this is the forum for advise on shooting and guns of all types.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Agreed about this site being an A+ of information and people. Congratulations to the Father in-law for receiving a great gun. Now he has to be like the rest of us and trying to score some 22LR ammo :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, tons of good info on here. I never would have thought about adding the washers behind the spring but it's simple and it works. I see why folks don't like the rebounding hammer and cross block safety. Surely marlin could beat this if they tried

·
Premium Member
12,233 Posts
I've been able to find .22 shorts, at reasonable prices, throughout the "shortage" - so I just switched to shooting .22 shorts instead of long rifle ammo from my 39A. Just like I did as a kid.

Congrats on the quick fix to your 1999 year Marlin.

Guy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts