Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I've just got my first lever action - a 336W. As I won't get a chance to actually use it for a little while, I bought 3 snap caps so I could have a play.

Problem I've struck is that about 30% of the time the last snap cap gets stuck in the tube. You can see it caught about 1 cm up there over on the left side. It's easy enough to dislodge with the tip of another but that's not the issue.

Is this a common problem or is it a problem at all? Just wondering whether the recoil would usually shake them enough to ensure the feed.

Thought I should ask people who would know before I gutted a new rifle trying to find a reason.

Thanks for any info you can give

Phil

·
Registered
557 Posts
Strange it's just the last one to jam, if there was an issue with receiver to magazine tube fit you'd think it would effect all rounds. I haven't had this problem with my 336 but I've never used snap caps ,wonder if it's just the snap caps- are they lighter than a normal round?, this could be the issue.
Are you able to safely cycle some live rounds through it with your SAFETY ON in a safe area? Alternately maybe test with some uncharged / unprimed cartridges if you can get someone to load them for you - if your about the northern rivers (Lismore) I could load some for you

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Yeah it's an interesting one. I reckon Brett's on to it, until you try it with the real Mccoy ammo there's no way to know.
In the mean time, if it was my rifle I'd strip it (including the mag tube) and give her a good clean and light lube.

Mark.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Yeah it's an interesting one. I reckon Brett's on to it, until you try it with the real Mccoy ammo there's no way to know.
In the mean time, if it was my rifle I'd strip it (including the mag tube) and give her a good clean and light lube.

Mark.
+1 on checking out the mag tube. Could be a small burr or imperfection that the follower spring has occassional trouble pushing the last round past.

However, are the snap caps consistant in size? You could measure the rims, or I would mark them (1,2,3 with a texta) and change the order of loading to see if the trouble is particular to one snap cap going in first (to try and chamber last). A slightly oversize rim on the snap cap may be finding a tight spot with the lesser spring pressure..........

Just a thought before you start stripping the rifle........

Good luck, curan.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I have seen ammo hang up in the mag tube if the action is cycled gentle. Marlins like to be worked with force. If you aren't being to soft with it,please disregard.

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
I may be wrong but I don't think snap caps are designed to be levered in lever guns. I was thinking they were made to fit the chamber of a particular caliber so you could dry fire.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to you all for the advice.

Unfortunately there is nowhere safe for me to start testing with live rounds so I've checked the dimensions & the snap caps *are* a tad smaller - I've got some Rem 150gr SP & the snap caps come in about 0.1mm narrower at the rim & about 0.15mm shorter - also ran them through in different orders but there didn't seem to be one specifically causing problems.

It seems that the more I run these through, the less jams are occuring so it may be down to a burr somewhere - looks like it is time I gutted my new pride & joy & learnt the workings of a lever action! It may be I'm becoming a little less gentle cycling the action & it's only that, but I suppose I really should get my head around the innards.

Thanks again for the help - I'll let you know if I find anything.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts