Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was digging around in the garage today and found a whole box (250) of Oregon Trail Laser Cast 300gr FP bullets. Anyone have any experience and suggestions on these in a GG. I would like to do something of a "Plinker" variety with them. Mild and good shooting, 100-150 yds max. I think they would be great for shooting "stuff", stumps, logs, trees, etc. Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
Digger said:
I was digging around in the garage today and found a whole box (250) of Oregon Trail Laser Cast 300gr FP bullets. Anyone have any experience and suggestions on these in a GG. I would like to do something of a "Plinker" variety with them. Mild and good shooting, 100-150 yds max. I think they would be great for shooting "stuff", stumps, logs, trees, etc. Thanks in advance for any input.
Sounds like a job for Unique or Trail Boss! I am curious too as to using my 45/70 for economical plinking..

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
I shoot these in my guide gun for plinking. When i bought them (available and cheap /500 at sportsman's warehouse) i called OT and they suggested XMP 5744. 34.2 to 38 grains. I settled on 36 gr. and it is a fun load. this matches my 405 rem and RL 7 load out to about 75 yards but is a little higher on the target at 100.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm a big fan of trail boss for light plinking rounds. Clean,accurate, meters nicely, fills the case so no chance of double load and did I say accurate? The only down side is a bit of a funny smell from the burnt powder.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Picked up some Trailboss yesterday and loaded up some rounds, I'll let you know how they do.

·
Premium Member
9,465 Posts
Try 13 grains of Red Dot. That makes a super plinking load with virtually no recoil at all.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Brian in FL said:
Try 13 grains of Red Dot. That makes a super plinking load with virtually no recoil at all.
Thanks Brian. I have a bottle of Red Dot and I was wondering what I was going to do with it.

·
Registered
592 Posts
With only 13 grains of Red Dot, do you need a filler?

·
Premium Member
9,465 Posts
For some reason, I've never needed a filler with the Red Dot load. I know that logic would dictate something like dacron for a filler, but it just hasn't been necessary for me. The gun writer I got the load from even mentions in his article that a filler is not necessary I believe.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
14 gr of Trail Boss works like a champ underneath those bullets.
GH1 :)

·
Registered
278 Posts
I use 13 gr of Red Dot myself with 350 gr Lazer Cast bullets in my 1895. Mild recoil, so far best group is about one inch off bench at 50 yards, but the factory sights are very coarse and make sighting difficult. I also use Red Dot for .38 Special loads and of course 12 ga, so one powder serves a lot of purposes. I don't use any filler, I worried about that myself at first, but no signs of trouble with a few hundred rounds now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts