Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Administrator
23,825 Posts
Like has been advised. I too take a large target board, usually a cardboard from a bicycle box, big scree tv whatever is big and handy.

I put a 1/8th dot on that target. Draw a set of crosshairs over the dot but small lines so the dot is still defined or don't touch the dot with the lines.

One shot off a sand bagged or similar rest front and back. The bullet will land where your scopes crosshairs should be.

Here is where it's really handy to have a friend that knows what he's doing turning scope knobs. First you don't ever push against a knob in this mode. Grasp the knob and turn without pushing in any direction. It's easy to do.

Holding the crosshairs on the center of the bullet hole, have your friend adjust the vertical crosshair first to match up to the drawn crosshairs on the paper.

Next is the elevation. At 25 yds your bullet should land low the distance between your scopes horizontal cross hair and the center of the rifles bore.

That my friends will put you on paper at 100 yds.

I set many high velocity rounds like the .243 Win that way and it hit exact center at 100, it was a bull bbld bench rest rifle.

·
Administrator
23,825 Posts
after adjustment don't forget to give the turret a tap with a spent case afet any changes. Not sure if it is for good luck or stuck reticles............but something I do everytime.
A good idea with scopes that have click adjustments. Helps to settle in a low spot not the high spot. Friction adjust scopes like Leupold there is no need to tap.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.