Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for laser bore sight options, opinions, information as I just recently purchased an 1895 SBL; I'm a relatively inexperienced iron sights and optics rifle shooter (mostly ARs with an EOTech) and am trying to avoid blowing through $100 in ammo trying to sight in my new rifle. Thanks. Mike

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Are you going to be using a scope? With a scope you can easily get it sighted in with a minimum of 3 rounds. Even open sights it should not take you $100 in ammo to sight it in. I have a laser bore sighter but all my Marlins are scoped and it is a very easy process. Start by holding the cross hairs on the center of the bull (usually 25yds to start, it's easier) and touch off one round. Then continue to hold the cross hairs on the center of the bull and without moving the rifle move the cross hairs to the bullet hole on the target and voila. Then it's just a minor adjustment where you want the bullet to hit at 100yds. At the most it took me 5 rounds to get it sighted in and then an additional 5 rnds to find out the grouping. And welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I am constantly changing around scopes on mine or friends rifles.

I use an older style Leupold Scopesmith magnetic boresighter Leupold ScopeSmith Magnetic Boresighter to get the scopes on paper.

After installing the scope I just pop the sighter onto the end of the barrel and turn the adjustments until I am dead center of the graph.

I then go to the shooting range set up my targets @ 25 yards and shoot and zero in so that my shots hit appr 1" - 1.5" low I then set up the target at 100 yards and complete my zeroing in.

Leupold makes a newer model of this nifty little tool as well Leupold Zero Point Bore Sight it is a lot more expensive and really doesn't do anything I cant do with my older style model.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm going to scope the rifle but thought the laser bore sighted might save me some ammo and time. Thank you all for the feedback!

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
I use the Bushnell professional boresighter and it works great.. I used it to set the scope on the 7mm Mag to 100 yards (hoping it would at least be on paper) and it hit exactly where I had it sighted in.... Maybe lucky, but I will take that any day.

Robot Check

Doc

·
Registered
91 Posts
image.jpeg

Officer29 you are right.

Here is a picture of the job 100 meter after 1 bullet to find where it went and four for the fun of it. I did not go to another shooting session since I bought a new Leopold scope.

Will start the process again and I am sure, with the same result.

I was holding my rifle on the rest and my buddy was turning the click on the scope to make sure I was not moving.

Fun to do.

Cheers

Reactions: Officer29

·
Vendor
1,941 Posts
For open/peep sights, shoot one carefully aimed round at a known distance, then use the formula on our FRONT SIGHT PAGE or the Calculator link on our TECHNICAL PAGE at Marlin peep sights If you use a caliper its not too difficult to measure how much movement the sights need to get sighted in. Bore Sighters are good for getting a rifle close, the looking down the bore works well for me (But as noted is inconvenient with a lever gun) but bore sighting can be pretty unreliable also. One or two carefully aimed shots should tell you what needs to be done for coarse adjustments, then the fine adjustments to get it exactly on.

Hope that helps,

ANDY

1 - 10 of 10 Posts