Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if any of you have heard of him, he is some what of a legend, especially up here in Vermont. I came across one of his knives for sale, its brand new, never used or sharpened, and pretty pricy at $595 (one of 50). Larry passed away last year and these knives will never be made again, at least by Larry. I guess his grandson is now making knives, $275. Does anyone here have any experience or knowledge of these? Would $595 for Larrys knife (I think some of them sold for around $550 when he was alive) be worth it? The "list" is around $1300. At that price it seems they are more of a collectors item than anything else.

LEB Hand made Knives

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, personally I would much rather put that kind of cash towards another 1894 Cowboy or something. I was just curious as they kept on popping up lately, and he is some what of a local hero. As a side note, I dont know much about knives, let alone hand made/custom ones. I know I can get a really nice custom one, any style/size made around here for around $200.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
If you had a chance to ask Larry, he would smile and roll his eyes. He made those for the city slickers who came to hunt camp. They thought if they had a knife of larry's , they too would be able to fair chase 200+lbs bucks.

After reading their equipment list, I carry a folding Buck Knife, all I ever needed. Bought a hat from them, and made a green plaid shirt with International Orange. Instead of rubber boots, I use scuba diving neoprene black boots. Very warm, flexible and quite. You just have to read the books. Now, all the books are out of print, but the library has them, and Amazon has them for sale from time to time.

To really get a picture about Larry, his sons, and what they used for hunting, read in order:

1. Larry Benoit, big bucks, told like a campfire story;
2. Big Bucks the Benoit way;
3. Benoit Bucks.

All good reads, wonderful stories that deliver big bucks. It also talks about how simple the gear they used was during hunting season.

If memory serves me, they did not dress out the kill until they got back to camp. They drug those dear miles, and they were all over 200lbs.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
I drove past Larry Benoit's house on US 1 in Vermont one day in the late 80s. He had a sign outside saying "Hand Made Knives". It was a small, plain house with a large central room, that was filled with head and skull mounts of very large deer. They were stacked three high, all around the room. Must have been 100 or more. Larry wrote a book in 1975 How to Bag the Biggest Buck of Your Life. He always used a Remington 760 pump in 30 06 that he chopped to a 20" barrel. Larry would walk through the woods until he cut the track of a very large buck, and he could tell from the tracks, and trail the buck until he walked up on it. He insisted that the buck would eventually stop and wait to see what was following him. Larry was Native American and felt that heritage helped him find the deer and track.

Larry's knives were hand made, initially from steel scavaged from his father's homestead, and ground to shape. At first they were carbon steel, but when his dad's cache ran out, Larry began making them from stainless. (See below) They had deer antler handles, a brass choil, and a razor sharp blade, mirror polished. The antlers were salvaged from yard and estate sales in the area. Larry would never use his own deer antlers to make knives! Two examples are below...

photo-10.JPG photo-11.JPG photo-12.JPG

I agree with Deadwood, Larry would be very amused that his knives are going for such prices. These two are mine, one I bought the day I met Larry and another I bought later. I always favored shorter large bellied knives for hunting. Both are engraved LEB and the year of manufacture, 1987 and 1990. The early one was made from the salvaged carbon steel, and the latter one from stainless. Both of these are as Larry made them, and never sharpened.

I'll go "mearl" a little better. If he or anyone else is interested, I'll let them go for 500.00 each.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Larry lived only a few miles from my camp and I met Mr. Benoit several times over the years ,he was a very nice man.His knives were expensive even when he was alive the last time I talked to him they were in the 300+ dollar range .

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
It is not only Larry that is the legend but also his brother Lanny. When they were both alive and hunting they were simply referred to as "The Benoit Brothers". I would say the knife is highly collectable and if it doesn't hurt your wallet too bad buy it. You would spend close to that for a first edition of Larry's book.

·
Super Moderator
11,797 Posts
I'd add that they're only worth what someone will pay for them. Don't try to anticipate what someone else would pay for teh item as invariably you'll be wrong.
Once we own something it's inevitable that we put more value on it that someone else who isn't invested.
You can see that everyday with people selling houses and vehicles - it's almost a given they want more for it than you're willing to pay.
The folks that are selling the knives have an attachment to them. That plus the fact they likely justified the purchase as an "investment" explains the high prices you see.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Buy it!!!!!!!!!! Don't wait, your right retail IF you can find one is $1300.00. I bought both my boys one LB knives leather wrapped about 15 years ago and they have both retired them because of the value.

last day.jpg

Attachments

Reactions: GrumpyBear

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
I've got two of Larry's knives, one from '87, one from '90, never used, never sharpened. See my post on the first page of this thread for pictures and background. My offer in the post above still stands. If anyone is interested...

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Yes, as a matter of fact, I do. Pictures in the thread above. Additional pictures by request. Original offer still stands.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
My Cousin also has one he bought directly from Larry about 10 years ago for 250.00 It is Wrapped with Leather from one of the Bucks Larry Shot Himself. It is a very valuable item to my Cousin. He called Larry at his house to order it. Larry claims it is made from an old circular Sawmill Blade.

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
My Cousin also has one he bought directly from Larry about 10 years ago for 250.00 It is Wrapped with Leather from one of the Bucks Larry Shot Himself. It is a very valuable item to my Cousin. He called Larry at his house to order it. Larry claims it is made from an old circular Sawmill Blade.
Good steel in those old Sawmill blades, I'm sure it holds an edge well.

Stu

Reactions: GORDY-A
1 - 18 of 18 Posts