Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Large rimfire ?

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  44-40 Willy 
#1 ·
Wondering if one of you could tell me what this is, it was in a shoe box full of old ammo that someone gave me to dispose of most of it was centerfire. This round is rimfire and I have no idea what it is.
Bullet .425
COL 2.185
case 1.540
Rim .615
Has H centered on bottom

#2 ·
At first blush I'd say it's a 10.4 Swiss Vetterli, but the neck looks a bit long. Everything else is close to the same.

#4 ·
Thanks PJ and 57 it's hard to measure with the rounded shoulders but the neck is about.285 or .290. It's the first one I've ever seen but it look's like it could put a big hole in something.I looked it up on the net and found a lot of interesting things on the round and on the rifles used.
JW

#5 ·
This is the .41 Swiss I have, one of several I've come across. This one, like many older lead-bullet shells, had a loose bullet, so I pulled it out with my fingers, and found some very dark, granular powder inside, still looking quite fresh and usable. I have no doubt it would fire if chambered. Mine has the "U" showing it was made by Remington/UMC (Union Metallic Cartridge) probably back in the 1930's. It was produced (per COW#11) until 1942, though the rifles and original rounds for it were discontinued in 1889!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.