Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
I am curious about why the big loop levers have more appeal than the factory lever. Is it mostly an esthetic thing? I have had a few but find them awkward unless using heavy gloves.
Probably an individual preference thing, which I suppose is why many gun manufacturers offer so many variants of the same base model. The big loop lever I installed actually is a Marlin factory lever, same one they offer on the 336BL and after a session at the range I don't find it awkward at all with the naked hand. So, I guess for me, it's looks as well as function which is the same reason I installed the safety delete kit to replace the cross-bolt safety that I absolutely hate on Marlin lever guns.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I am curious about why the big loop levers have more appeal than the factory lever. Is it mostly an esthetic thing? I have had a few but find them awkward unless using heavy gloves.
Because in the cold climates where wearing warm (heavy) gloves is a condition of hunting, the factory lever loop is really tight to get your fingers through.

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
Answer: advertising
The gun rags have promoted fads for years.
Professional marketers know people are ‘keep up with the jonesers’ and followers.
Facts, reality and real practical need have little to do with it.
I like the square factory lever.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can't speak for everyone but I like the looks of the bigger loops. They do serve an actual pupose that being people with large hands and people who hunt or use them in cold weather can actually get there fingers in the loop. Large loops are not a fad or marketing scheme that have been around for longer than some of you have been alive :)

·
Registered
19,701 Posts
Large loops are not a fad or marketing scheme that have been around for longer than some of you have been alive :)
Yeah,John Wayne,Josh Randall,and Lucas McCain had them long before some of you were alive. But I have never seen one in the thousands of genuine Old West pictures I've seen. Correct me if I'm wrong,I will always admit to making a mistake. Post your Frontier pictures 1860-1920 with a big loop lever gun,or written proof.

·
Super Moderator
5,358 Posts
Yeah,John Wayne,Josh Randall,and Lucas McCain had them long before some of you were alive. But I have never seen one in the thousands of genuine Old West pictures I've seen. Correct me if I'm wrong,I will always admit to making a mistake. Post your Frontier pictures 1860-1920 with a big loop lever gun,or written proof.
Did a quick search and John Wayne in Stagecaoch (1939) was the first large loop used in the movies. Movies and TV made them popular. Don’t care, I still like the look and functionality in cold weather.

·
Registered
856 Posts
All mine have the factory lever, except my 1895M, which has the RPP Medium Loop. It is aesthetics, for sure, but I do believe with gloves in cold weather the medium/large loop could be an advantage. To each his own!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.