Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone familiar with this gun? I like the idea of an elegant 1911 pistol in a powerful caliber like the 45 WinMag.

I am interested in accuracy, durability of the firearms and in availability of spare parts, spare mags and reloading components.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I got to try one back when they were a new pistol. Big grip for sure, a bit too big for me, but I loved the sights and the cartridge.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Grizzly Customized

I am proud owner of a LAR Grizzly 45 Winchester Magnum. The grip is very big and nothing for small hands. My Grizzly is very accurate and very powerful. Crottet custom did some great work as you can see on the pictures. The grip is still very big but much easier to handle. I do some informal IPSC steel shooting with my Grizzly. The 45 Winchester Magnum makes short work with the pepper popper steels and hammer them down with big punch. The gun works great with factory 230grs. FMJ rounds but gave no malfunctions with different kind of other bullets so far. I load bullets between 185grs. to 260grs without any problems. Recoil is heavy but not brutal. El Paso saddlery made a 88 street combat holster for my Grizzly and a magazine pouch.

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
The LAR Grizzly hasn't been made since 1999 and Freedom Group bought out LAR Manufacturing in 2012. I highly doubt much in the way of spare parts are available beyond those that are interchangable with standard 1911s.

As an option, consider a 1911 in .460 Rowland. The .460 Rowland is capable of pushing a 230gr bullet to 1350 fps or a 185gr to over 1550 fps and can be chambered in a standard size 1911 with little more than a barrel change.

Clark Custom Guns offers kits or complete guns. Starline make brass, and a wide variety of companies offer loaded ammo including Georgia Arms and Buffalobore.

Clark Custom built this .460 Rowland, Kimber Stainless Target for me some years ago....

It wears a four port comp, will do one inch at 25 yards with full power 230 gr loads, and remains convertable to .45 ACP with nothing more than a barrel and recoil spring swap. A Kimber .22 Conversion kit gives it added versatility and that highlights the best thing about the .460 Rowland. It gives .45 Win Mag performance in a standard 1911 package where all parts are interchangable with standard 1911 parts and it's compatible with most 1911 open-toed holsters.

Just food for thought.

Roe

·
Registered
221 Posts
A fellow on South Mississippi guntrader facebook site has one for sale or trade with 100 rounds for $800. Saw it this morning and thought of this post.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Christmas came early this year, two weeks after i received my permission i found this beautiful pistol in excellent condition at a estate sale from a deceased collector. It is a Grizzly MK I chambered in .45 Win Mag, built and imported in 1996 with less than 50 rounds through, it immediately found a new home next to my Kimber 1911. :love:

Does anyone know where i can find some spare mags for it ? Do you know if Gunbroker and Armslist allow non US accounts?

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts