Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I sold my house and made a little profit. I told my wife that I was going to treat myself to nice rifle with a little of my share lol. I was about to buy one of the new 1894 CST .357s until I found out about the stock material. Not the worst stock by any means, but I've never spent this much on a firearm before, so I wanted real "hardwood". I went back to finding a JM .357. I bought this one online a little over a week ago and picked it up today. The bullseye was swapped out for a sling swivel, but it came with the factory hammer spur.. fair trade I suppose. Minor freckling on receiver and a knick here and there in the wood, but overall really nice shape. I have a vintage, glossy 4x Redfield waiting to go on it as soon as I can find the right Allen wrench to get this BSA off. I'm really not a fan of see thru mounts, mostly because they never line up right, but these ones do. So for now I guess I'll see how they grow on me. I'm beyond happy with this rifle and hopefully I'll get to shoot in the next week or so. Oh.. it's 1982. First year for no gold trigger. Although, the trigger pull on this one is a little heavy. So I may purchase the gold RPP trigger and kill two birds with one trigger.
104759998_3292686224145190_1145165191596314293_n.jpg 106235980_401435150762481_2888461385712059225_n.jpg

·
Super Moderator
23,664 Posts
Very nice and a great pick up! My 1894C is a 1983 model but it doesn't have the CBS safety. The non-CBS 1894Cs are a hard find these days.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Nice one. I have an 1894c in .357 and have enjoyed it a lot over the years. Mine, a JM from '97, also had a rubbish trigger, but too light rather than heavy. You could blow on it and trip the hammer. I shoot maybe once a week and the Marlin at least once a month. Just never gets old. Unlike me.

·
Registered
559 Posts
All you need to do with that rifle is shoot it! Congrats! Enjoy!

Reactions: bwills80

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Congrats on your new 357, I have one as well, they are fun shooters. Looks really nice, I am with you, I am not a fan of the see thru rings those would have to go if she were mine. I think my 357 is the only lever gun that I don't have scoped, I need to do it soon, my eyes are not getting any better. Enjoy it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Congratulations on such a nice rifle. It will be an even nicer rifle when that abhorration on top of it is removed. Followup photos required.

·
Registered
10,844 Posts
Nice find,great looking rifle,congrats...

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys. I've got the scope mount on the way and I will post some better pictures when I get the Redfield on it. I have replaced all the (really) cheap scopes that I had from my younger years with some that are a little nicer. I can't afford many new Leupolds and such, but I was able to find some good deals on used Redfields and Leupolds. Now, all my Marlins that are scoped, sport vintage US made glass. Just something I thought would be cool to do. They all work and look great. For 1/3 of new price. My .444 and '51 SC .35 are the two that I'm not going to scope.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Great pick-up. I am interested in seeing it with the Redfield - currently adjusting to the same mindset. Replacing some Nikon's I have with older US glass that looks more in line with the rifles.

·
Super Moderator
23,664 Posts
Thanks guys. I've got the scope mount on the way and I will post some better pictures when I get the Redfield on it. I have replaced all the (really) cheap scopes that I had from my younger years with some that are a little nicer. I can't afford many new Leupolds and such, but I was able to find some good deals on used Redfields and Leupolds. Now, all my Marlins that are scoped, sport vintage US made glass. Just something I thought would be cool to do. They all work and look great. For 1/3 of new price. My .444 and '51 SC .35 are the two that I'm not going to scope.
I have done the same thing with a lot of my older rifles---buying 1960s-1990s quality Leupold/Redfield scopes at bargain prices. I have a 1990s Leupold VX-2 1-4X on my '83 1894C which works great on that rifle.

·
Premium Member
18,009 Posts
Nice pickup! Probably my favorite Marlin caliber, and mine had a stiff trigger that has smoothed out nicely over the years. Yours will likely do the same. Enjoy! :bandit:

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Nice find! I hope that you are into reloading, as they seem to go through ammo like a semi-auto!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts