Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Lake City" LC92 brass.

I'm curious, is this surplus brass? I'm getting a savage 12FV in 223 for xmas and plan on putting a big set of glass on it, bipod, blackhawk cheek weld with cartridge belt and all that and I'm going to shoot handloads out of it but I'm gonna break in the barrel and get it zero'd with this LC92 stuff I have, and I have thousands of rounds of it. I know surplus is a PITA to prep and doesn't last long so if this is surplus brass I may need to get some new brass after I fire this stuff.

It's a lot of work to go through working up a load setting the bullets at the recommending seating depth, neck size the brass, and then take the load that shoots best and seat 5 rounds a certain length, then another 5 shorter than that length by say 5 thousanths to find out which load and seating depth shoots best only to know your brass won't last long after all that work.... So... if this stuff is surplus please let me know! ;D

·
Administrator
23,772 Posts
Re: "Lake City" LC92 brass.

Yes it is Mil surp brass from the Lake City Arsenal. The 92 means the year or 1992.

I have some I've used for years in my 7mm/06s and a 25/06 they are LC68 Match.

LC brass prepped properly is very good brass, they are generally heavier and should be approached with a little less powder to start with. If you notice most have a heated area near the front and is a little softer, so it does not need annealing. They will last as long as any commercial brass I've seen. I used a lot of LC brass .223 reformed to .222 and shot competition benchrest with it for a long time and many reloads. The PITA to me was the primer pockets but I chucked up a Wilson chamfer tool and solved that problem.

Being stronger brass they do hold up well on top end loads.

·
Premium Member
8,172 Posts

T-man - - be aware that some of the Lake City Arsenal 5.56 brass may have been fired in the M249 and some other fully auto weapons. The M249 is notorious for having a "loose" chamber compared to .223 chambers on production rifles, so (if you haven't already) you might want to do the full length sizing on the first go, then settling in for fine tuning with neck sizing, trimming etc. after the cases have been fire formed for your rifle's chamber.

Like Swany, I have used LC Brass (5.56, 7.62) for a long time, and subsequent neck sizing will prolong the life. Let us know how that Savage works out for you. I finally took the plunge and picked up a CZ-527 in .223 - the trigger is pretty easy to adjust, and on mine, with the single-set trigger it is about as good as the Accu-Trigger.

·
Super Moderator
12,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Looks like I'll go get me a primer pocket swaging tool, and go run about 50 rounds out of my mini-14 and get it ready for the savage. Full length size it when I get some dies and go from there. I'll be using a 52 or 53gr. sierra match king over benchmark, and federal small rifle primers. I'm going to seat to the standard seating depth by the manual and work up a load, and once I find the one that shoots the best I'll neck size the brass and seat one off the lands and keep seating them 5 thousanths deeper til the last batch of 5 I get back to the manuals seating depth and see what it likes best. This will be a tack driver when I'm done with it! The glass I'll be putting on it is a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 with mildot reticle.

·
Premium Member
8,172 Posts

One of the guys I used to shoot with (can't keep up with him anymore), absolutely swears by the Savages. He competes pretty regularly in the varmiters bench rest with various calibers. The last I knew he was pretty partial to the 6.5x284, and just recently shot a ten shot group that measured around 1.75" at 1,000 yards, if I heard the story correctly. I think he is trying to make a name for himself or something (and probably trying to get a sponsorship from Savage, Sierra, Hodgdon, etc. ;)), but he is one hell of a shot with those Savages and is always trying to talk the rest of us that know him into getting at least one.

·
Super Moderator
12,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I have 4 savages, 3 111's in 7mm rem mag and another 111 in 270. Great shooting rifles at a wonderful price.

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts

I wouldn't fire-form your brass in the Mini-14, you are going to have the same problem... case stretching due to automatic ejection. Load some mild loads and fire them in your Savage, that will form them to the Savage's chamber.

·
Super Moderator
12,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Charlie98 said:
I wouldn't fire-form your brass in the Mini-14, you are going to have the same problem... case stretching due to automatic ejection. Load some mild loads and fire them in your Savage, that will form them to the Savage's chamber.
Yeah. I'm just gonna shoot about 50 rounds of the lake city stuff when I get the gun to get it sighted in then I'll work up a load after that.

EDIT: In the savage that is.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts

DWB said:
The last I knew he was pretty partial to the 6.5x284, and just recently shot a ten shot group that measured around 1.75" at 1,000 yards, if I heard the story correctly.
I don't really follow these things, but I believe a ten shot group of 1.75 inches at 1,000 yards would be a world record by a wide margin and absolutely spectacular for a light gun like a Savage.

·
Premium Member
8,172 Posts

imashooter2 said:
I don't really follow these things, but I believe a ten shot group of 1.75 inches at 1,000 yards would be a world record by a wide margin and absolutely spectacular for a light gun like a Savage.
His rifles are anything but light - they have all been re-worked by a buddy of ours that is a stellar gunsmith. I have seen some of his targets shot at 600 yards with his 6.5x284 (Ackley-Improved, IIRC) - ten shots in one ragged hole are pretty common for him and those in the circles he is shooting with. All beside the point... Fact is, they are all Savages, or at least they started out as Savages before going through the make-over. I think T-man will be pretty happy with his, once he gets it and gets a load tuned up for it.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts

I wasn't trying to belittle Savage rifles or your friend and I apologize if that is the way my post appeared. I agree that T-man should be plenty happy with a new Savage and the couple that I've actually seen were both under 1/2 moa out of the box with a good hand load and decent glass.

Anyway, I went looking for the number just on a lark. Near as I can tell the current world record 10 shot group is 3.048 set with a 90 pound water cooled purpose built "rifle." I also saw a 5 shot group of 1.403 set with what most of us would actually consider a rifle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts