Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at ladder stands. This year a lot of my hunting will be on public game lands. I want to keep my expenses low, Maybe around $135.00. I won't have to tote it very far, in most cases under 20 yards. The Game Lands I'll be hunting have very good roads and many miles of them too. All I will have to do is find where the deer are crossing and set up a stand near the crossings. I have looked at many stands on the internet and I like the Guide gear 17 ft extreme comfort stand. But reading reviews of this deer stand customer's say its a real pain to attach to a tree because the floor holds the stand away from the tree so far that its very difficult to attach the strap to the tree. I have installed a stand built very similar before and found the same to be true. Walmart sells one for $101.00 that appears to be easier to attach to a tree from standing on the ladder portion, without being a contortionist. What do ya'll use and why. I may just get the Walmart one because I can just go pick it up. I don't want to spent $300.00 on a climbing stand. I like the extra room of the Guide gear stand but I don't know if the extra room is worth the hassel. Needing a quick set up stand that one could be comfortable all day and easy to remove at the end of the day. What do you like.

·
Premium Member
4,167 Posts
Why not use a pop-up ground blind...lighter, roomy, a-lot quicker to set up/take down.

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Climbing stands can be a problem. They require a smooth, clean trunk and many times you can't trim trees in public ground.

Leaning ladder stands can be a bit heavy to carry in and out. At least for me.

·
Banned
2,116 Posts
Get a ladder stand that has a folding/collapsible seat section. (I got mine at Bass Pro for $69 back in the day) A folding seat section folds down flat, can be strapped to the ladder sections and is a whole lot easier to carry in the woods as well as store. I'll see if I can find a link to one.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
If you do get a "ladder" stand, get the "feet" as well. They keep the stand from sinking into the ground. Ladder stands can be a problem to secure. Have you considered a "climber?"

As noted, a ground blind either hand made (made with brush, branches, etc) or of the manufactured type, can certainly do the job as well.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I started hunting in the early 80's, it was not until the mid 90's that I started hunting from tree stands. What a difference getting your head 15 - 20 feet off the ground can make, especially in wooded areas. You get your line of sight up above the ground brush and out of the deer's direct line of site. The use of tree stands increased my deer kill by a factor of x8. In a tree stand, I pass up more deer then I could have ever seen from the ground.

As for climbing tree stands, expensive cost can be a myth, you can purchase new ones for a little under $100. The lower cost climbers are a bit heavier, being made of steel instead of aluminum. I also prefer climbers that have a front rail. This serves to sit on as you climb up the tree, acts a a shooter bar while making forward log shots, and prevents me from falling out of the stand if/when I nod off. Tree Stand Climber Climbing Hunting Deer Bow Game Hunt Portable W/ Harness: Outdoor Sports : Walmart.com or Guide Gear® Extreme Deluxe Climber Tree Stand - 177426, Climbing Tree Stands at Sportsman's Guide

As for ladder stands, they have their place. I prefer to use them in proven productive places where theft is not a concern. I also tend to stick with double buddy ladder stands, more room to move around in and provides opportunity to bring children on the hunt. The double ladders that I use, I pick up at my local WalMart for $99. Ameristep 15' Steel Two-Man Ladder Stand - Walmart.com

I will add that a double ladder stand takes two people to safely connect to the tree. Every successful user has there proven technic. Mine being use of an extension ladder or my climbing tree stand, to first place a eye screw or belted D-ring on the tree a couple feet higher then the back of the stand will be. Loop a long enough rope through the eyelet or D-ring, fastening one end to the back of the stand and the other end held by a helper. As your helper pulls on the rope, you prop/walk up the assembled ladder stand to the tree. Once up, your helper continues to hold the rope allowing you to make any adjustments to the legs without fear of the stand coming down. Continue to have your helper hold the rope as you use your extension ladder or climber on the back side of the tree to fasten your ratchet straps. Last year, this approach took me and my helper (my 13 year old son), 20 minutes per stand.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Most places I hunt require at least 8 ft off the ground for rifle hunting. Also on public lands I prefer to be elevated for safety reasons. I can still use a climbing stand but at age 58 I get tired of lugging them around. I am just looking for a simple option without a lot of expense. For what I will be doing a ladder stand fits my budget and I believe I can get off the ground enough to be safe and have the visual I need. Remember I won't have to tote this stand more than 20 yards. I have a chair tent blind that is also perfect for this application. Just find a crossing PARK and get in the back of the truck and set up. Warm, DRY and very comfortable. I still would like imfo on what other member's are using as regards to ladder stands. Thanks for the replies so far.

·
Super Moderator
5,142 Posts
Your local Tractor Supply jas all you would need.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
Both of my ladder stands have the big bench seat and I guess I like it well enough. I think you are wise going with the ladder stand. Ground blinds limit visiability and climbers are not your bag so ladder it is I personally don't like a ladder stand more than 10 ft tall, less to mess with and a deer is not going to see you if you are 10 ft off the ground vs 15 ft. They have come a long ways with the ladder stands especially with the event of the ratchet strap to securely ratchet it tight around the tree. I remember the ones I used to build out of two by fours and they certainly were cheap and comfortable before the alumimum ones came along. Another thing about a shorter ladder stand is you have a shorter distance to the ground to jump if things go wrong say the tree starts falling. Ha

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
horseshoe, that's a good point. When my Father had knee surgery about 15 years ago I bought him a heavy duty ladder stand and set it up for him with only 2 sections. He didn't have to climb far and he shot plenty of bucks out of it at only 8 ft. I just set the stand up 50 yards from the corn pile instead of the usual 20 yards.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts