Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Vendor
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And just to let folks know its not off the radar...

(Eli, send me your address and I'll zip this off to you for some evaluation)

Andy

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
Andy,

That is way cool and brilliant having a ladder Skinner sight The elevated section like a tang that folds below so the peep is not obstructed is ingenious.

OK now the only negative for me is aesthetically having the sight stick out backwards over the receiver towards the trigger. I know that is a function of where the screws on top of the receiver are. However it is still preferable to me as opposed to drilling holes into a nice stock for the average tang sight.

·
Vendor
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I would like to take credit for what is a very ingenious and simple design, but this one was created by Dr. Skinner. Its actually the reason I own Skinner Sights today.

Tim asked me if I would make a few of these for him since his regular sales were keeping him too busy to make them. I made one, took it to him for evaluation and he said... "Why dont you buy the business" ? and we struck a deal.

The reason it hangs over the rear of the receiver is because I have it mounted on a Model 1894. It would be flush with the rear of the receiver if it were on a 1895/336 frame.

:)

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
Andy,

Now that is good to know, especially since it would be ideal on a 1895 .45-70, while the normal peeps, I plan to put on the 1894's.

Of course my next thought (I know you are busy and you will do more sights as time goes by) is the ladder would be ideal on a .38-55. Nicer for long distance on the Marlins and maybe later on the poor man's model (the H&R BC's).

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
bigvisk said:
very interesting. seems like this would be ideal on the longer range shooting guns, a 308 or 338 maybe???
Did I just hear an echo? ;D

·
Registered
84 Posts
Would it be possible to put the ghost ring at the back of sight? If not a peep there, then how about a notch sight at the rear of the ladder? Just questions/suggestions. I have some of the good doctors work and yours look every bit as good!

·
Vendor
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its probably possible, the ladder aperture doesnt really need to be so high for most shooting however. Consequently, having the large diameter aperture disk requires setting it pretty low on the ladder which doesnt leave much room for additional apertures/notch below.

Also, to increase the height of the hinge area with a blade (which wouldnt be elevation adjustable) would add quite a bit to the machining process and the cost would increase accordingly.

Liken the feedback however...

Erik, I have the sight packaged, will send it over to you for a bit of hands on evaluation.

·
Premium Member
1,606 Posts
Looking forward to seeing this idea progress to production. Good luck Andy, I am quite sure with the quality work Skinner is known for this one will be well recieved.

·
Registered
754 Posts
:)
I'll have one slated and ordered for a 1895 of 1976 manufacture as soon as available. Don't like the look of the Lyman side mount receiver sight, this could be sweeeet.

·
Vendor
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Keep watching at www.skinnersights.com It will be a while I know.... But when they are finally ready I'll be posting a page for them there.

THANKS!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts