Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously, the 39a has no loading gate, we love em. So why do we think we need a loading gate on the center fire rifles? Tube loading allows us to easily unload the gun without having to cycle the whole magazine empty. We don't have a problem with rim fires so why the Hang up with center fire?

·
Super Moderator
15,237 Posts
It just wouldn't be a Marlin without a gate, besides shucking them cartridges also smooths out the rough edges on the internals. Some say that Henrys' are the slickest ever, that's fine, don't own a Henry, might someday but I'm not going to hold my breath and turn into Papa Smurf anytime soon. Mr Fixit

·
Premium Member
10,534 Posts
Seriously, the 39a has no loading gate, we love em. So why do we think we need a loading gate on the center fire rifles? Tube loading allows us to easily unload the gun without having to cycle the whole magazine empty. We don't have a problem with rim fires so why the Hang up with center fire?
It's just a Paradigm of the way we "think" things need to be................

Tom

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
For me it's the ease of reloading. I have a Henry .22 lever gun. It holds 16 rounds in the tube so I can shoot a lot before I need to reload. I also have an 1895 45-70 that wears a cartridge sleeve on the butt stock. If I use a couple rounds to put down an elk I can quickly slip a couple more in the tube and it's full again. That can be really handy in bear country. I've never heard of anyone being mauled by a gopher, bears are another story.

·
Premium Member
2,442 Posts
Just a thought... when the lever gun was introduced, I imagine it was as much (if not more) a fighting, self defense firearm than a hunting firearm... I imagine fast reloading was just as important as fast follow up shots... the loading gate provided for faster reloading than a tube magazine... the loading gate may be less necessary today than it was back then... but to me it is the way a lever gun should be loaded... and cycling the lever a couple times to empty the tube at the end of the day is just a natural part of the lever gun experience...

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
I grew up shooting box magazine guns and find the tube awkward to deal with. I do have a Henry 22 and it is a good gun but still shoot my box mag the most.
However, Henry is now listing a .41 mag in the steel version that is supposed to hit the suppliers after the first. If I can get one enough under the SRP of $999 I would buy one. Or, If I am patient it may decrease demand on the Marlin 41 and those prices may recede some.

·
Registered
10,337 Posts
I grew up shooting box magazine guns and find the tube awkward to deal with. I do have a Henry 22 and it is a good gun but still shoot my box mag the most.
However, Henry is now listing a .41 mag in the steel version that is supposed to hit the suppliers after the first. If I can get one enough under the SRP of $999 I would buy one. Or, If I am patient it may decrease demand on the Marlin 41 and those prices may recede some.
Arkie where did you see the 41 listed.
I have e-mailed Anthony a couple times this year asking about a 41.
He responded sayin they were considering it, and that it was a possibility.
But I've not seen it listed in the new catalog, or on their site.

To the OP, the absents of the loading gate doesn't bother me.
Have a BB in 44 mag. and would love to have a Steel version in the 41 mag.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I don't like it in a .22 rifle, and sure don't want it in a big bore rifle! I had one tube loading .22 and hated to load the thing, soon sold it. I always wondered if that tube rod would ever come loose from recoil and cause a problem when you need the gun the most.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Arkie where did you see the 41 listed.
I have e-mailed Anthony a couple times this year asking about a 41.
He responded sayin they were considering it, and that it was a possibility.
But I've not seen it listed in the new catalog, or on their site.

To the OP, the absents of the loading gate doesn't bother me.
Have a BB in 44 mag. and would love to have a Steel version in the 41 mag.
In doing a web search I found this...I would pick one up but not for 1k. Im pretty confident I could find a 1894S in 41 for that amount if you looked hard enough. I found my FG for even cheaper.

HENRY REPEATING ARMS BIG BOY STEEL 41 MAGNUM - HNH012M41 - H012M41 - UPC:619835200099 - Lipseys.com

Reactions: Pereira

·
Registered
573 Posts
I think the tube loading would be great. I personally don't enjoy using a loading gate. Been thinking of switching out my 357 for a Henry and if Henry were to make a 41mag I would switch it out also.
Henry is promising a .41 mag in the second quarter of next year!

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
I dunno'... and kinda' like the detachable magazine of our BLR; even easier than the others, with no concerns of bullet types either... :flute:

They're all just different engineering designs, and I like 'em all for what they are... variety is the spice of life, ha!

·
Banned
805 Posts
Tube loading allows us to easily unload the gun without having to cycle the whole magazine empty.
I don't need to "cycle the whole magazine empty" with a loading gate either.

Also, this way I don't sweep my hand with the muzzle to load or unload. I hate trying to teach kids muzzle discipline with a inner tube loading rifle. :/

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Put a side gate on the Henry and it "may" ??? be something to be reckoned with.

Many years ago, and in fact on my first firearm, I experienced the front load tube with the twist cap lock and once was enough!!!!!!

This was on a JC Higgins bolt action .410 shotgun and simply put, the recoil caused that system to fail.

So, add the recoil of a 45/70 and well, time will prove or dis-prove my concern.

Mean while I simply will not buy any rifle over .22 with that system for loading and or unloading.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
You ever try loading a cartridge trough one of them loading gates with a sore thumb?I think they need to design one with a loading gate and a tube loader.That way if you smack your thumbs you could still load your rifle from the other end and you could load through the gate if you were using the gun for defense.The best of both worlds.

·
Registered
573 Posts
You ever try loading a cartridge trough one of them loading gates with a sore thumb?I think they need to design one with a loading gate and a tube loader.That way if you smack your thumbs you could still load your rifle from the other end and you could load through the gate if you were using the gun for defense.The best of both worlds.
You sir, could do well in a career as a diplomat!

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have put 500 rounds of medium heavy hunting loads through my Henry 45-70 and around 1000 rounds through one of my 44 mag. (have not shot my other Henry 44 yet) and have had zero problems. No failure to feed, no Marlin jams. Even when I first bought it I did not have to slick up the action or do a trigger job. And yes, the thing I like the least about it is no loading gate but I had to decide was that enough of a dislike to put up with rough actions, bad triggers and the Marlin jam. Since I am mostly a hunter the loading tube is a non issue as I am not fighting off maurading Indians or hunting dangerous game. I also like how Henry bores their rifles, my 45-70 is .456 and both my .44s are .429. My Henry .44 shoots jacketed bullets lights out compared to my Marlin, no contest. My Marlins bore is .431. I like the looks of the Marlin better, I do like the loading gate better but those two things are not worth putting up with bad fitting rifles, rough actions, bad triggers, the dreaded Marlin jam and the worst customer service in firearm history just to have a loading gate.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts