Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of lachmiller dies for the 45-70 and was wondering if anybody uses them or is familiar with them. More specifically does the seating die also crimp?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
image.jpg
This is what the die looks like if that might help

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
You can run a resized empty case into the seater die (gently) and see if it crimps. When you begin to feel reisitance, it will be crimping. Extract the case and compare it to another resized case. You should be able to see that the mouth of the first case has been rolled inward (crimped). That case can then be re-expanded and re-used, if you have not collapsed the case by running it into the die too far.

Write back if you still have questions.

Reactions: Jonny V and GaCop

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
Lachmiller made good stuff. i bet it will crimp.

Reactions: GaCop

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looking at the dies one says size so I'm assuming its the sizer and one has the primer remover. But I thought usually the sizer and primer removal were the same step. Hopefully the primer remover has the step that expands the case mouth

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
Again, you can take the die apart--ought to do this every once in a while to clean it anyway--and see if the decapper also has an expander higher up the stem. Measure it against a sized case and an unsized case. Some dies have the expander as a separate die. I use a Lyman M die for neck sizing and creating a small flare to help the bullet start.

How many dies in your set? The decapping and resizing die should be obvious. Also, the seating die should be easy to tell. The seating die usually crimps also. If there is a third die, with a blunt plug, that would be the neck sizer.

Pictures of the dies from below, and/or pictures of the dies taken apart would help.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well it looks like the decapping die expands the mouth but the crimping function is a little less obvious.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Put a empty resized case in your shell holder..Now barely start your seating die in the press..Push the press handle all the way down..Now start turning the seating die down until it either makes contact with the case mouth or shell holder..If it makes contact with the case mouth first then the seating die has a crimping function..You can then adjust the amount of crimp by turning the die in or out..If the die makes contact with the shell holder then that die doesn't have a crimp function..

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I had to scratch the idea of using these dies because I noticed that the decapping pin is ever so slightly bent. It looks straight just looking at it but you can see its slightly bent when you screw it in or out. Had to buy a new set. These will get put away for a while in case someday I run across pins that will work. But as for now the show must go on

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Well I had to scratch the idea of using these dies because I noticed that the decapping pin is ever so slightly bent. It looks straight just looking at it but you can see its slightly bent when you screw it in or out. Had to buy a new set. These will get put away for a while in case someday I run across pins that will work. But as for now the show must go on
Lachemiller made dies for Herter's among others, and I have many sets of their dies, including 45/70...they are good dies and work just fine.

TIP OF THE DAY!!! You can get decapping pins for your Lachemiller (Herter's) dies at any well-stocked hardware store. Big box store...not so much.....take your bent pin in there and check the drawer containing their dowel pin assortment..... In Washington state I get mine at McClendon's hardware, your store might vary, but the cost runs approx 13 cents each. I have several pill bottles full of them on my bench right now.

Unfortunately this trick don't work with RCBS dies, they gave a slightly bigger pin I haven't found yet.....

P.S......yes it crimps. Moderate roll crimp is all you need...don't fall for the "factory crimp" hype, it's just a big popcorn-fart....

·
Registered
910 Posts
measure the pin then buy a pack of drill bits that size at habor freight(2.98) cut the shank off with your dremmel tool (they make good firing pin tips also)

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lachemiller made dies for Herter's among others, and I have many sets of their dies, including 45/70...they are good dies and work just fine.

TIP OF THE DAY!!! You can get decapping pins for your Lachemiller (Herter's) dies at any well-stocked hardware store. Big box store...not so much.....take your bent pin in there and check the drawer containing their dowel pin assortment..... In Washington state I get mine at McClendon's hardware, your store might vary, but the cost runs approx 13 cents each. I have several pill bottles full of them on my bench right now.

Unfortunately this trick don't work with RCBS dies, they gave a slightly bigger pin I haven't found yet.....

P.S......yes it crimps. Moderate roll crimp is all you need...don't fall for the "factory crimp" hype, it's just a big popcorn-fart....
The one that I have is slightly tapered to hold it in the die. If it was straight it would just fall right out. Is that how yours are?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I decided to dust these dies off tonight and try to work with them. Since the last time I responded on this topic I got the decapping pin situation straightened out.
The sizing die just sizes the outside then the expanding die has the decapper on it. Any advice on setting this up. The expander in my hornady set just bells the mouth out. But this old lachmiller expander seems to expand the whole case mouth for about a quarter of an inch or so and then there is a part there to bell the mouth. The dies didn't come with the instructions as I bought them used.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
image.jpeg
This is the decapper/ expander die guts. Doing it this way seems alright but it moves the order around a little bit. Guess you have to trim before decapping/ expanding.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts