Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow enabelers.

Based on your support I have contacted Kurac about a set of grips for the 5" 27-2 I found recently.

I am looking for cokes of dark and interesting grained wood highly polished.

He has been most generous in contacting me and explaining various options.

He sent me some sample pics and of these I have a fancy for the following:

SOLD Photo by CulinaGrips | Photobucket
and
SOLD G43 Claro Walnut $160 Photo by CulinaGrips | Photobucket

I'd like these checkered diamonds with medallions and football cutout.

John advises that some wood doesn't checker, so I'll leave that up to him as I don't want to demand the impossible, but it would be nice if possible.

I hope this works out well and I have you folks to thank for giving me the push I needed to do it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Having bought numerous sets in the past, let me push you over the edge. His work is terrific, and it appears he now offers checkering (which he didn't before). If you want to be further assured, go to the Smith & Wesson Forum and do a Kurac search---you will be overwhelmed with pictures and positives from the members there.

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
I would think any of the various walnuts he offers would hold checkering just fine, but you're correct to leave it up to his expertise.

What I might suggest...if checkered stocks are what you desire, look to grips or blanks that have a dark, contrasting grain running through them. As beautiful as some of the "fiddleback" walnut is, the subtleies of those patterns and shadowing are often obscured by the checkering itself.

I need to contact John myself. I'm a sucker for Birdseye Maple and that 24-3 is begging for a set of his grips.

Roe

1 - 3 of 3 Posts