Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a buttstock from a Model 27-S, serial number 244. I began stripping the old finish off to see what I had, and I discovered a knot! It is 3/8" in diameter and right on the side of the stock! I never thought Marlin, or any other major gunmaker, would use knotted wood. Any of you ever see knotty walnut on your Marlins?

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Interesting to say the least! I've seen some stocks where I could tell it was close to a knot, but still usable.
I recently repaired a Winchester model 12 stock for a friend, who had a chunk of wood fall out of the stock, while sanding to refinish. Seemed that Winchester had gotten off while drilling for the throughbolt, and it was so thin the chip of wood just popped out.
Is the knot a small one, or pretty good sized? Any sign of filler in porosities of the knot?

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I once owned a 1967-vintage 336 with a small knot (maybe 1/3" across) right smack dab in the middle of the right side of the buttstock. Rather distinctive-looking, actually. Sorry I ever traded that one, the best-shooting MicroGroove rifle I ever had.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Roundsworth,

I have a 1946 336 with a small knot in the stock. I would imagine the war used up most of the decent wood, and it has not been any trouble. I also have a Steyr with a small knot in the red elm handguard. I know for a fact Austria was hard up for stock wood at the time.

Your 27S is serial 2XX? That's very interesting to say the least!! I believe I mentioned once I have a 27 & 27-S, both in the 4XXX range. Do you think the 27-S had a separate serial range? SW

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi 'Hogger,
On page 436 in Brophy's book, there is a breakdown of serials on all the pumps. Unfortunately, he doesn't mention whether or not each, or any, model had its own series of numbers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts