Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The malfunction:

I try to shoot my muzzleloader at least once a day. Sometimes twice, I really don't like leaving the powder in there. When I got to my spot yesterday evening, I knew that I had taken it inside and it had sweated, so I found a dirt berm to fire it into. I squeezed, heard a light click and nothing happened. I kept it pointed at the berm, and looked down at the action, hammer (bolt) hadn't gone forward. Odd I thought. That's when I got stupid and removed it from my shoulder....as soon as I tried to put in on safe, it fired. Damn....that'll wake you up. Luckily, the bullet went right into a tree in front of me, so I don't have to wonder for the rest of the week were it landed. But what the heck!

I wanted to pack up and go home at this point, but against my better judgment I decided to take the gun apart and check it out. Didn't take long the see that a piece of a fired cap had jammed along side the sear, causing the malfunction. I managed to clean it up and dry fire it about a thousand times(with hammer block on) to make sure it wouldn't happen again.

Lessons learned:

I'm new to inlines, so I've learned a bunch this past couple months....here it is:

RWS PERCUSSION CAPS: Extremely corrosive. I like to pop a couple to clear the nipple and breech plug before hunting....if I try it with these caps, I get rust before I leave the woods. They are great at the range, and extremely reliable, but I won't be using them anymore.

CCI MAGNUM NO 11 CAPS: Too much. The caps bust into a hundred little pieces that get wedged everywhere. Really more ignition than I need.

CCI NO 11 CAPS: Just right for my weapon/ load. I get reliable ignition every time, without caps blowing up.

T/C HOTSHOT NIPPLE: The steel in this nipple is extremely tough. After firing a few hundred loads, it still cleans up like new. Caps always stay on. My only problem is that it by venting out the sides, it works very poorly with hot caps and contributed to my problem with the trigger jamming.

KNIGHT RED HOT NIPPLE: Great ignition, but the nipple seems to corrode very rapidly. Does not clean up like the T/C nipple. Caps also tend to fall off.

HORNADAY XTP 240GR: Awesome whitetail bullet. Violent expansions and complete destruction. Probably a little light for heavier game....will try the bigger XTPs and power belts on black bear.....(if they ever respond to my calls)

TRIPLE SEVEN POWDER: Good stuff. Have yet to have a charge not go off(knock on wood) The ultimate in easy cleanup.

CRISCO: Works just as good on the modern inlines as it does on traditional muzzleloaders. Cheap (a lot cheaper than bore butter) and scent free all purpose lube/ protectant.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I learned that lesson about the CCI magnum #11 caps on my cap and ball revolver. I ended up with little shards of copper falling down in between the recoil shield and the cylinder of the revolver. this would make me have to stop, pull off the cylinder, and put the gun back together before I could fire. It was quite frustrating. I went to the remington caps and don't have as many problems.

·
Registered
362 Posts
JARHEAD ED~ Im thinking of getting a inline.... would you recomend the one you have???? What model do you have??
I noticed that you didn't mention any sabots, do you use them, or are you shooting a maxi-ball or alike....

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My rifle is not stainless. I do use sabots, 240 Gr Hornady XTPs. I've been wanting to try something heavier, but haven't had the time.

Would I recommend my rifle? Heck ya. It's a cheap Knight model, the American. It really depends on what you're looking for, but it fits the bill for me just dandy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts