Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about buying a Kimber Montana with the intention of turning it into a 358 win. That is about all I know. I have questions that I hope some of you can answer. First off, I need to know if I re-barrel using a #2 or #3 contour, is there enough meat on the Kimber stock to hog out the barrel channel and have it full length bedded? Anybody got a barrel recommendation? What length? I want to end up with a fairly light weight quick handling multiple purpose rifle that is slightly muzzle heavy for better off hand shooting for use in any weather. That's not too much to ask for is it?
Any and all info, advice, opinions, or other options are welcome.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I had bad dealings with Kimber so I would not deal with them but that is not what you asked. Going off the one I owned for awhile I would say you would be cutting it close. Widow

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
Unless I'm badly mistaken, the .358 Win uses the 30-06 as the parent cartridge. The calibers the Montana comes in are .270 WSM. 300 WSM, 300 Win Mag, and .338 Win Mag. All those have larger rim diameters than the .358 Win. It is additional trouble and expense to open up the bolt face when rechambering or rebarreling a rifle. But your conversion would have the bolt face diameter being reduced . That involves welding up the bolt face, machining it back to specs, and re heat treating the bolt. Or finding another bolt that will fit. Sounds like a prohibitive amount of work, and very expensive, if you can find a gunsmith willing to do it.

On the other hand, with a budget of $2000 or so, you should be able to have a very nice lightweight, custom stainless .358 built. If I'm correct in the paragraph above, others will be along very soon to suggest actions and stocks suitable to your purpose.

·
Premium Member
12,136 Posts
The .358 Win is based on the .308 Win case, not the .30-06.

Also, the Montana is avail in .308 Win, though Kimber's somewhat convoluted website makes this difficult to determine at first.

A .358" bore barrel could likely be screwed right onto the Kimber action, no further metal work needed. Now... Will a heavier contour barrel (since that's what you want) fit the factory stock? Good question and I don't know. It would be a delightful little thumper though...

Guy

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
JES Reboring specialized in reboring rifles to 35 caliber. Might be worth a call. I have never had any work done by him, but I have talked to him over the phone. He gets a lot of good reviews online. I would get a .308 and he will tell you if the barrel is a candidate for becoming a 35. Simple rebore job for under $300 including shipping.

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
Unless I'm badly mistaken, the .358 Win uses the 30-06 as the parent cartridge.
Then you're badly mistaken.
The 358 Win is a necked up 308 Win.
The 35 Whelen is a necked up 30-06.

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
I had a 84M in 7mm08 rebarrelled to .224 TTH ( 22/6mm) and I wanted it to have the same factory contour. Lilja barrels made on for me, and my smith fitted it. Later, I wanted to sell the rifle and he just refitted the factory 7mm/08 barrel. No change was necessary in the bedding. No reason for full length bedding unless its just something you want to do. Good luck to you Pard.

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
I can't answer your fitting questions etc., but did notice the Montana comes in .243, 7mm-08, .308 (same family as .358win) with 22" barrels. Just thought I'd add that I wouldn't be afraid to go with a 20" barrel instead of the 22" if you want for your requirements mentioned. Have it chopped while re-boring if ordering one in the above calibers it does come in? I have a .358win BLR with a 20" barrel and a 7mm-08 A-Bolt with a 20" barrel, and both are nice/quick handling at that length, plenty accurate too. Good luck to you.

Reactions: M700

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
My favorite .358 Winchesteer is a 760 carbine with 18.5" barrel. Rechambered from 35 Remington and no work required on bolt face. I have two other .358 Winchesters both with 22" barrels and the shortie .358 gives up hardly anything in the velocity department to the other two. Only 40 to 60 fps with identical loads and part of the reason is due to the expansion ratio of bore diameter to available powder space. My 1894C and my 1894CBL are the same way, only less velocity is lost between the 18.5" barrel and the 24" barrel. The 1894C gives up
around 30 fps to the 1894CBL 357 Magnums. So whatever barrel length you decide on, the .358 Win will have plenty of oomph no matter what you are hunting in the lower 48 or Alaska too.

358 Win

PS: Hey preacher, nice to see you back on board!

Reactions: M700

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
I shot a 358 Win for years and I can truthfully say that it will smoke a deer or just about anything you want to shoot. The last deer I shot with it was about 150 yards across a small clearing and the bullet made such a audible thump when it hit the deer that my friend heard it over a 1/2 mile away. There was a 358 on gunbroker with a Sako action and a Sako Hunter's Edge stock with a 20 inch Douglas bbl that sure looked good for a 1000 dollars but I think it might be gone by now. The stock alone is 400-500 bucks.

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
I've had a few custom rifles put together. I've had great luck floating the entire barrel or bedding just the chamber area on Remington's and Rugers. Just finished one with a Hart sporter barrel and a lightened walnut stock in 6.5x55. I only bedded the front and rear of the reciever making sure the magazine box didn't apply any pressure to the bottom of the reciever. It performs better than I could've hoped with sub 1/2" groups. I believe full length bedding may add considerable weight unnecessarily. Huge fan of the 358 here with 2 of my own. Good luck with your choice let us know how it turns out!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts