Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok - I figure this will bring out every opinion conceivable, but what the heck.....I bet somebody brings up something I hadn't thought about.

A good friend of mine and his wife are not able to have kids, and have taken in several foster kids (infants), only to have the courts place then with other "family" members. They picked up a newborn last week, and suppossedly this one has a very good chance of being put up for adoption and they will get first crack.

While they both work, there won't be a great deal of extra cash floatin' around with the extra mouth, and he would never spend the money, so I would like to pick up a .22, of some sort, and clean it up, restock it in some nice walnut, and present it to them as the kids first .22 in honor of finally adding to their family.

The delima is, which one? My first choice would obviously be a 39A/M, but I'm trying to keep in mind of it being their first one. Think I should go with a single shot? That would be outgrown fairly quickly. Semi? Awful fast for a beginner. Bolt? Might be easier to manipulate than a lever for a young shooter. Hmmmmmmm

I keep leaning toward a Mountie - Whadya think?????

·
Registered
69 Posts
Shum8,

I hope it works out for your friends and they are able to add to their family permanently. How lucky they are to have a friend as thoughtful as you.

The 39a was my first thought. Mainly because I wish someone had bought me one when I was a kid. Your point about a single shot first is a good one though and the 39a might make a better second .22.

The mini bolt guns are cute but quickly outgrown. I would consider something like the single shot H&R 22/410 Versa-Pack http://www.hr1871.com/firearms/index.php?cat=2&subcat=10. It looks like any of the regular H&R stocks would fit so it could be changed to fit an adult. The .410 shotgun barrel is a nice bonus too.

Edit: The new takedown Stevens favorite from Savage looks slick. A super update to the classic "boys" rifle.

Wuchak

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wuchak said:
Edit: The new takedown Stevens favorite from Savage looks slick. A super update to the classic "boys" rifle.

Wuchak
See - I told you somebody would come up with something I had not considered....

Thanks for the input - only problem is, the field is getting bigger....

·
Registered
325 Posts
Savage makes the Cub model single shot as well and it wears an awesome ghost ring sight. I had thought long and hard about that for my own son as that time is approaching. I however have decided that a couple of the 22s I currently posses will suffice although a restock will be in order.

The other option a little closer to home is the Marlin 15YS in stainless. It has that youth stock so young children should fit it nicely. I would rechecker that stock or sand out the pressed checkering if I went this route. As nice as themetal is on that rifle the wood checkering is horrible.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Not a lever action or anything with a hammer.
I have seen too many accidental discharges when a kid trys to let the hammer down before the gun is empty. Very scary.

I have had two boys start out with youth size bolt actions and it has worked out well with both. One was the Marlin 15YN and the other the Keystone Arms Cricket. I like the 15YN better because my boy will be able to shoot it longer and I think its a little more versitile. We have had good luck with the Cricket but it is very small and I don't like the scope base.

I really think that a bolt action single shot is the safest way to go.

Good Luck,
Wannabe

·
Registered
52 Posts
Take a look at the CZ Scout. It comes with a single shot magazine which can be upgraded to a 5 or 10 shot later on. It's a well built accurate gun.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Although there have been some fine suggestions, I have yet another suggestion.
There are many "vintage .22 rifles" out there, pawn shops small town gun shops; etc. The ones made in the late 30s, the 40s and the 50s. Some from the 60s are pretty cool too! They pretty much all had walnut stocks instead of the trend towards birch when black walnut sources began to run out here in America. Select black walnut was nearly considered the "norm" on rifles, and some stocks that are not select, but retain some nice line qualities about it and look very handsome in thier own right.

My point(finally)is that I think that you should look around for one of those and re-store it for the boy. It would be a quality piece of history that lives on to become his own son's rifle.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Since it sounds like you are looking for a quality rifle and are willing to put some effort into making it look descent, might I suggest a Romanian M69 trainer? They can be had for around $70.00, rifinish nicely, and are a very accurate bolt action rifle. It will shoot well for the little one, and you will enjoy improving it's appearance. Good luck. Glen

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Man, I appreciate all the input - I have my work cut out for me......However, the latest update is the sorry birth-parents have somehow acquired an apartment, and one actually has a job.....So the judge is now considering placing the child back with them - what a crock of s*&t.

I'm still looking, and am planning on completeing the project, if for no other reason for them sticking with this crazy system......

I'm still particular to the 39 Mountie, as it was my first rifle as well, but you guys raise great alternatives - can't make up my mind. The father will be a great shooting instructor, so I don't worry too much from a safety standpoint.

I'll keep you posted.

Shum8

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I too am lokking for a youth 22. My son will be 6 this summer and with some help he's learned to shoot my M66. The problem that he has is holding the gun up. I will be looking at all the suggestions logged here but I think that many of them might be too heavy. The Cricket is 2.5lbs blue! the Henry Youth is 4.5lbs, the 39a is 6.5!!!!!!
I love the idea of a lever as does my son(to be like dads) but most of the guys I've talked to say a single shot demands concentration to make that one shot count which was not lost on me because as soon as I made a can dance along the sand he stoped aiming and started pumping rounds. Sure a lever or bolt will make them stop between shots but the idea of making that one shot count sticks with me... as well as many large cal. firearm makers.
cw

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
seaweaver said:
I will be looking at all the suggestions logged here but I think that many of them might be too heavy. The Cricket is 2.5lbs blue! the Henry Youth is 4.5lbs, the 39a is 6.5!!!!!! Most of the guys I've talked to say a single shot demands concentration to make that one shot count .....
I tell you what - If I had plenty of money, I'd have someone build me a 1/2 scale Ruger No.1 in 22LR for the kids.....The problem I've found is the smaler guns that are light enough to be a kids first rifle don't have the quality, fit, and finish to suit me.

Shum8

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
There's a new Marlin 15 Y out- think it's the YN-2- specially made for the littler tykes- something I'd go with. No cocking plunger. A side safety. Everything is scaled down for the jr. shooter. Only problem with this is it will be out grown awfully fast. I have a grandson that could not hold up a 4 lb single shot winchester one year. The next fall, no problem at all- I couldn't get it out of his hands :D

When they are that small, by all means, help 'em hold the rifle up- it's a good way too learn to steady the rifle too. I find I have a tendency to rush things, and forget how much there is to be learned. Some 6 year olds are pretty tiny, I agree. Even so, this age requires much very close supervision with the .22- I ain't real comfortable with kids and guns till they are at least 12 and experienced in safe shooting- even then they require supervision....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
I just bought the Marlin 15 Y in stainless for my kids. I have a 10, 8 and a 5 year old. The boy is the 5 year old and the cricket fit him perfectly, but was way to small for the older girls. They are shooting my Win. 9422 occasionally, and I will add that you have to watch that hammer. No problems yet, but I sure don't relax at the range.

The Marlin has been good for all so far, but it is a bit heavy for the 5 year old. I set him up behind a couple of railroad ties that he uses as a rest. He can stand up and shoot for 3 or 4 shots, then will rest it while shooting for awhile. The sights are the Williams firesight and are sighted in to begin with. He was making his spinner go at least one out of 3 times at 25 yards, so even though the pull is a bit much, he is doing well. The cricket would be good this year, but next I'm not so sure about. My boy is rather large, so that might be a consideration as well.

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think I have a handle on the length of pull issue - I'll just set it up with two stocks, regular length and a shorter one with a few buttplates attached to varying lengths off stock.......Hmmmm

Wonder if there would be a market for a beginner rifle stock that comes with three or four extensions to grow with the shooter. Dang - this may open up another project...............

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I got my son a crickett for our friday night camping trip(I had to beat Grandady off of that responcibility) . Boy he sure loves it! We didn't shoot untill after we stalked hogs and He was so proud. Now we just have to overcome the cross dominant eye thingy and hell be on his way to becoming a rifleman! He demanded I make him a hard case for it which I did today and he'll varnish it tomorrow. I'm going to take the gun down to the local trophy shop and have his name and date engraved on the barrel. Perhaps this summer for his birthday he'll join the ranks of Marlin Owners :p
cw

·
Registered
18 Posts
I recommend the Marlin 15Y or the Henry Mini Bolt. My first 22 was a Ruger 10/22 that ended up being a jamomatic. My Grandfather wanted to get me a Belgium Browning in the early 70s and my Dad wanted to get me a 10/22. We ended up selling the 10/22 and finding a Belgium Browning after they quit making them. I still have it and it os one of my favorite rifles. Sometimes it pays to buy a little better grade up front instead of upgrading later. With careful training and instruction a kid can learn on a semi-automatic, however I think the Bolt or even the Lever action is better.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
M2HB,
I think i saw one of those Brownings on an Auction site. They were starting around $300+. It sure was Pretty!
The Henry (not youth) I looked at seems to have a black painted alum. receiver :? That sure won't look good after a generation much less after a hard season of marsh rabits.
cw

1 - 19 of 19 Posts