Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1895 CB is the hardest kicking gun that I've ever shot. I had been shooting trapdoor loads for cheap but thought I would try some jacketed lever loads. I put an accudot scope on it to test the groups and by the third shot it broke and was rattling. I have five 45-70's and love them all but the CB brings tears to my eyes. It must shoulder on the bone so I'll have to move it around and find a better shoulder spot. I ordered a new peep yesterday. Midway has them on sale for about $32 with shipping.

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
I learned all about how the 1895CB feels a couple of weekends ago. I have seen a couple of different threads about the recoil from these rifles, and thought, "How bad can it be?" After 20 rounds of test loads over a chronograph from a bench, any doubt was removed, in no uncertain terms. My shoulder was pretty colors for six days afterwards.

Since then, I am not ashamed to say that I found a Limbsaver slip-on pad so I can complete my load testing. I imagine shooting this rifle from various positions will be fun and recoil much more tolerable, but from the bench I can relate to your assessment of "brings tears to my eyes". ;) ;D

I am looking forward to finishing up some more testing, and then settling down to some fun. After I finish testing some 300 gr JHP with Re-7, I will get a bit more testing done with 405 gr Cast FP and TrailBoss - - something in the 1,100 to 1,200 fps neighborhood, and maybe in the 1,300 to 1,400 fps neighborhood with 2400. After that... Just plain, old fun.

·
Registered
522 Posts
That's what a Lead Sled Solo is for, shooting from a bench so it can take the recoil instead of your shoulder. Kind of like pounding nails with your fist instead of a tool like a hammer. When shooting from a standing, kneeling or sitting position you can roll with the recoil instead of fighting it.

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Ha! I had one for a short while myself, back when they first came out. It was not too bad with the new Hornady 325 flextips, but I thought, "Hey, why not get some 'bears in the camp' rounds for the Yellowstone area?" I ordered some plus P 460HC from Grizzly co. OMG! One round did it for me,ha! I thought all the gristle around that plate/screws in my neck had torn loose! ha. I later had a surgery and had to thin the herd, so I sold it to a guy in my church, he shoots handloads. I also wasn't too thrilled with the 24" barrel/straight stock, for my use, although they do look nice & nostalgic.
If it helps any CB users feelings, I have had 2 Browning 1886 carbines that kicked just as bad! :p

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there Hank, DWB, and Tom -- Just gotta say that the "tears in your eyes" thing does bring a sympathetic smile to my lips. I ran 85 rounds through the 45-70 Sharps Sunday. But I did it off my shooting sticks in a t-shirt. The best part is that they work as good as a bench and you can take them with you to shoot for fun as well. Here are the sticks...

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
And here is the 380 yard target from Sunday with 21/30 hits in 20 knots of left to right cross wind. It's 16" on the flats, about 22" north/south and east/west to the points. The other fifty-five rounds went towards the 800 yard dinger. Give me a shout and I can send you a brochure. Don't have a picture of my shoulder, but no bruise and no pain!! Best regards. Wind

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there again ya'll -- Took the camera on the way out this morning. Here is the kit. Shiloh Sharps, Okanogan Shooting Sticks (about four years old), 34 rounds in a cartridge belt tucked in the ground pad, and a set of 'ears'. Pretty handy package considering it's over a mile round trip to get some 800 yard time in. Best regards. Wind

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
First thing, if you own a 45-70 sooner or later you will be faced with one fact, they kick.

Second thing is considering a low recoil practice load.

A lead sled is a good item, the cross sticks do the job, but a solid bench built so you can shoot standing up while sand bagging the gun, is the cheapest alternative.

My first expierience with a heavy hitter was a .460 Weatherby I got from a close friend going bankrupt, and one shot from the bench convinced me to shoot it off the roof of my Chrysler, it was a lot better but the 8 inch rip in the vinyl roof covering convinced me that I needed a stand up bench as I sighted in a lot of 12 ga slug guns also. That was before I ever heard of a lead sled.

Building a stop at the end of the bench where the gun can recoil on is another option.

Bottom line a Cowboy needs a good light recoiling cast load to be appreciated to it's fullest. ;D

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yes, I have two other 45-70s besides my CB. They are much heavier and hence more comfortable to shoot. The CB also always leaves me
with a swollen lip because of where I place my face while shooting. Were the CB a heavier rifle it would be more in keeping with the 19th century rifles, and more pleasant to shoot.

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
A nice plinking load for my gun is 10.5 grains of Unique behind a 405gr Meister LFN. It gives nice 1.5" groups at 100yds, but I wouldn't try it any farther out. I load 12 grains when shooting 350gr LFNs with equal accuracy. A stouter, but accurate load for the same 405s is 37.0 grains of IMR3031. I've found that it helps to keep the magazine topped off when shooting the heavier loads. The extra weight really helps.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I often shoot 10 g. of unique with a 340g. LFN but I found most of a 8# can of 800X and 800- 200g SWC pistol bullets .454". I tried 11g. of 800X and they don't tumble and actually shoot good short range. I just had to try a full lever load and I was suprised how much more it seemed to kick. It's almost a pound lighter than my G's, no recoil pad, or heavy hunting jacket to absorb some of the recoil.

·
Registered
163 Posts
smokinjoe said:
Aint no sense beating yourself to death. Try one of these:

http://www.buffaloarms.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=157935&CAT=4018
+1 on that lace on pad. I use them on all of my cowboy action shotguns to prevent me from thinking about recoil instead of getting my cheek in good contact with the stock and the alignment of my front bead and the target. My 1895SS came with a nice pacmayer already installed on it.

Azbagger

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
I`ve got a good pad on my 1895CB, & when hunting or shooting off hand you don`t notice the recoil; but shooting from a benchrest is another story. I always fold up a towel & put it between my shoulder & the CB. No problem, you can sit at the bench shooting offthe sandbags all day.

When I first got the gun & 4 boxes of those Win. 300gr. bullets & sat down at the bench, fired the first shot, all I could say was "What in the hell did I buy!"

It didn`t take long to get the pad on the gun. 444 ;D ;D

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
Do these guns have a straight stock? I've always found that straight stocked guns have far more felt recoil than pistol grip models for me. Probably the way they are made and the way they fit me. I'm not a fan of any straight stocked guns.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They do have a straight stock but I have 2-G's and they have straight stocks also. The G's do weigh a little more but not that much. I am not recoil sensative and have been shooting 45-70's for a lot of years. I recently bought the CB and it's a whole different feel and I can't believe that it is just the recoil pad. It's probably just old age catching up on me.

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
Of the (4) 45-70's I have my CB hurts the least????
The kick on it is more of a push with the CB, where the others (G, SS, 1895) are all more of a hard quick Crack to the shoulder. I find the CB to be easier on my shoulder than the others.

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
Took my Cowboy out for testing of some loads to fine tune what I have been working with so far. Another 20 or so rounds from the bench, but this time, with a Limbsaver Slip-on pad - - was very comfortable shooting. Especially compared to the first time out with it when I had nothing but the factory butt-plate.

The guys that were setting up next to me marveled at the Marlin, the big cartridge, and the holes that could be seen with the naked eye at 50 yards. Then they broke out their spotting scope to see where their .204's and .223's hitting at the same distance. ;D Gotta love the big bores. ;)

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Shortly after buying my CB, asked my wife's cousin if he wanted to go shooting. I fired a couple of shots and then handed it to him and showed him how to load it. He asked if it kicked and I looked at him and just said "your eye is far enough away from the scope". When he pulled the trigger, I was watching him closely, needless to say he wasn't ready for it. He didn't hit paper at 100 yds, found out from the wife later why.
He was supposed to take a moving truck to NYC from our house in OC, Maryland, he got my wife to get me to do it instead and knowing how much I dislike NYC, let alone driving there (Manhattan) he told my wife that when I asked him to go shooting he actually thought I was going to shoot him....
I asked her if he felt that way then why did he go? Her response was he "didn't want to look stupid"!!!!

He wouldn't admit it, but "Thumper" knocked the hell out of him....

·
Registered
584 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts