Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use the leather vlcro or lace up Kick Killer recoil pads on there guns? Do they work well or LOOK good on the gun. I have a Buffalo Bore testing session this weekend and I'm in need of a recoil pad and can't spend a $100 jon a pad just yet. So Im thinking of getting one but not sure if it will make my Marlin look stupid or just not work that well.

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
The Lace Up Kick Killer is a nice little pad that looks right with the Marlin. I have one on my 30-30 and will most likely put one on my 35Rem. On the 444...no way!

Dave 8)

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
I have one on my 444, 45-70 and my 336CB. Have them all to lengthen my LOP. I actually inserted gel-foam to get a bit more length. Does wonders for recoil as well. Get the small one...Have held up to many rounds, and it does protect the stock.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats why I want a pad not just for recoil but to add to the LOP. I like a 14 1/2" and my gun w/o a pad is 13 1/3". Dosnt sound like alot but it makes a difference. I tested a Kick Killer on a 336 in a gun shop and it felt good but not sure if I like how it looks, but if it reduces recoil(BB loads) and cost is less I may go with one this year and maybe spend the cash later for a nice gring to fit pad. Oh, do they leave room for a sling stud to be added?

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
For a quick temporary solution wear a coat with a wool sock folded and placed in the shoulder, as to looks it is always up to the individual. I always worried about moisture messing up the wood where it is laced on. Don't know if this happens or not just what I thought about.

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Troggy92 said:
Why not the 444?
For the 444 I have to use a Past pad for recoil. After 20 rounds it begins to hurt without the pad. I think is was Coyote Hunter that came up with the jell insert in the Kick Killer.

Dave 8)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I noticed the large loop lever on one of your guns. Is that the one from Numerich that runs about 79 bucks? If so how do you like it? I was thinking of getting one for my 336rc 35 rem.

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Troggy92 said:
I noticed the large loop lever on one of your guns. Is that the one from Numerich that runs about 79 bucks? If so how do you like it? I was thinking of getting one for my 336rc 35 rem.
I picked that up from Sportsman's Guide a while back. It takes quite a bit of fitting so you need to be a pretty good tinkerer. I have set the lever aside for a while as I have been extremely busy. I don't know whether or not I will like the large loop but will get it done before hunting season. If I don't like it I will just change it back.

Dave 8)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I cant seem to find a large loop for my 336 other than that one. It seems most that I find are for the guide guns.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
My .45-70 has one. LIke Dr. A. I inserted some extra padding before slipping it on. Need to get one for the .375 and .30-30 for the same reason as Doc - to increase the length of pull.

I think they look fine, but that's pretty subjective.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, poop! I called a gun shop asked if they had a slip on pad for my 336 and they said they had a Limbsaver. I made the hour drive down there only to find out they indeed did not have a slip on Limbsaver that would fit. I ended up findind a pre-fit Limbsaver for 336 Marlins....Great! I'll give it a go. Screw holes almost matched perfect. Slapped it on in a few minutes and shouldered it.....feels good...good LOP...but looks like crap.The bottom of the pad is narrower than the stock. This aint good. But was kinda cool is that I found a hollow area in the end of the stock that had two old .35 rem cartridges wrapped in wax paper. The rife was made in 1958 or 9 and the brass in marked "35 rem umc". Thr bullets are corroded but I'll put them in my ammo box with some old cartrdges for keeps sake. I'll shoot tomarrow with the new pad but i will get a new on later.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts