Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys I been thinking about buying one of these,and was wondering do any of you have one,shot one,know anything about them.
Are they reliable now I know the first ones were not that hot,are the accurate? What can anyone tell me about them?

·
Super Moderator
5,162 Posts
Whatch Hikock45 on youtube shooting the pmr-30.Good video, go from there.

Reactions: 1022

·
Super Moderator
6,563 Posts
I have not owned one, have a friend who got ont a few years ago. He paid regular retail price for it, which was less than $500...have seen them for sale for almost twice that, as they are hard to get and the scalpers have them dailed in...

In any case, it was a fun gun and was quite accurate. It had no problem popping clay pigeons at 50yrds in the right hands. It did have a few hang ups...but those were mostly from the ammo being loaded incorrectly in the magazines (rims overlapping wrong). There were 1 or 2 stovepipes as well. May have been cause it was a brand new gun, may be an issue. I dunno.

There were early reports of them keyholing pretty badly,'and accuracy being terrible. According to Keltec this was from a batch of crappy barrels, and the mfg was switched shortly after. The one I shot shot quite well.

If I found one at it's actual retail price i wouldn't mind picking one up.

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
I have shot one of them quite a bit and I think they are amazing. Wonderful trigger, great sights and plenty accurate. I was recently shooting across a small pond at my boys place and at 30 to 40 yards just hold right on what you want to hit and it will do a job. Only thing I don't like about it is too easy to shoot 30 rounds. Ha It really shoots fast.

·
Premium Member
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had a couple quoted to me today at $469 and $499,and a couple wanted $600 for one...

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
I've got a buddy who owns a pawn shop/gun store who has one. We went shooting a few months ago and that was one of the ones he brought. I was fairly impressed - it was pretty sweet.

I liked the idea of having a 30 rd mag full of 22 Mag, but as horseshoe stated, it burns through ammo fast and 22 mag is expensive and hard to find. He was going to sell it to me for $350.00, which is what he said he had in it from Ellett Brothers, and I believe him. He had a threaded barrel with a flash surperssor that he was going to throw-in for another $100.00 He said he could get me all the spare magazines I wanted for $25 a pop.

I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Maybe I'm getting too old to take on another caliber or something. I figured at 30+ cents a pop 9mm is still the way to go in a semiauto for me.

If I ever do get a 22 mag levergun, and I am always looking for one, then I'll want a revolver to go with it ... to savor every pull of the trigger. That kel-tec just eats it up too fast. But they are sweet little pistols - at least the one I shot was.

I had no idea they are bringing such a premium these days. He told me they were sought-after. I guess it kind of reminded me of the FN Five-SeveN if I had to compare the feel to something. Our local city police carry FN Five-seveNs so I've had the opportunity to shoot those once or twice too.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Fun, Fun, Fun!! I've had one for about two years now and have no inclination to get rid of it. The problem is the cost of ammo right now. I could go through a brick in an hour easily if I would let myself. Once you pull the trigger once, you don't want to stop until the slide locks back on an empty magazine.

It has a nice feel and is plenty accurate, very light weight with a good crisp trigger, and almost no recoil. It IS very sensitive to how the mags are loaded and the brand of ammo. CCI 40gr is recommended and that's all I put through it. Magazines hold 30 rounds, but I usually stop at 25. After that they start getting pretty rough on my old hands. If you decide to get one,stock up on plenty of ammo before you hit the range.(YOU'LL NEED IT) And have fun.

·
Super Moderator
6,563 Posts
Keltec is supposed to be working on a collapsable stock carbine version, the RMR30. Same basic frame, 16" threaded barrel. THAT if it ever sees the light of day, is on my buy-on-sight list. Would be a fun host for a suppressor :)

EDIT:: So would the pistol.

Reactions: T-Roy and 1022

·
Super Moderator
6,563 Posts
Yep...actually I've seen one or two at local gun shows in the past year or two. Can't remember the price tag on them, but it was...well...I don't own one.

EDIT: If I remember correctly, G. Kellgren...is the founder of Keltec...no?

And the Grendel had just come out right when the Brady ban went into effect...dooming that company due to the 30rnd mag....

The PMR is really just a redesign...slightly different lines, a fiber sight, and a rail.

·
Premium Member
18,035 Posts
Fortunately, Komrade Klinton passed the Omnibus Crime Bill of 1994, or we'd all have one. Imagine the carnage!

Thank heavens he saved us from ourselves. :bandit:

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I own a PMR-30 and love shooting it. Yes 22 Mag is hard to come buy but you can find it every so often.
The PMR is so light and easy to shoot, it's loud but has virtually no recoil.
Taking it apart to clean is a bit tough because the block doesn't just drop out
you have to wiggle and fiddle with it to get it out before you can take out the
barrel. Putting it back is the same thing.
But other than that it's great fun to shoot.
Mine's a keeper! Thumb.jpg

Reactions: Tomray and 1022

·
Registered
491 Posts
I must have had the only faulty one. Couldn't get mine to feed more than 10 rounds without a jam. It was one of the first ones out so maybe they fixed them. I sold it during the last scare and made a killing. No plans to ever buy another was one of the biggest POS I've ever owned.

·
Premium Member
11,165 Posts
My Neighbor owned one, and I shot it a lot......................... Until our Progressive MORON of a Governor wrote his new Gun Bill SB-1160, and that was the end of owning a PMC-30 in the Nanny State of CT....................My neighbor sent to to his FFL BIL, and the gun got sold in Arizona.

But I'm OK with that,............... cuz we're all SOOOOO much safer without them................Now, the only way I could be MORE SAFER...:hmmmm:...( I like that phrase) is to Vote that Progressive Scumbag out of office, hand him his A$$ wrapped in wax paper , and tell him to hit the road!.........

Oh, I think the PMC -30 is a nice pistol, but it has a ferocious muzzle Blast.......But Hey, 29 MORE rounds for a follow up shots......:congrats:...Whats not to like?... and its really light for woods carry

Tom

·
Super Moderator
5,162 Posts
I for one love what the gun is...a 22mag pistol.
And I love the fact that the sucker holds 30 rounds.Im impressed with watching Hickok 45 shoot his.
But in my honest opinion,it's one of the ugliest pistols on the planet.
The gun certainly has nothing on my MKIII Hunter, other than firepower.
But do I want one???............................Yup.

Reactions: etexoldguy

·
Premium Member
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Follow up, I have found a couple of places that have them in stock for $449...

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
If you can get one for $449 I'd buy at least one of them.
So much fun to shoot.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts