Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Andrew or anyone else that is into JW-15's, what kind of modifications should I do the one I am getting in a few days. This will be my first JW-15. I will shoot it first to see how it does with no modifications, but I just love to work on guns so I don't think I will be able to leave it alone. Also, does anyone know whether Brookies' spring kits will work on these guns.

Thanks so much for any advice! :D

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Kakemono: Hi there! Just shoot it and see how it does. If you feel the need you can scrape the barrel channel a bit. I have five of them now -all different vintages. Of all the guns I've owned only one gave me accuracy problems and it was cured with a light recrowning. I have one set up for sub-sonics that will shoot .4 at 50M. Most will shoot like that. Have fun! ~Andrew

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Hi. For a while I kept getting a non-existent Forum message. I just decided to check back last night. Glad I did! ~Andrew

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Good to see someone besides me owns one of these! I have 3, (one for me, one for each son when they get old enough). They are great, although I have let rust get to them a bit. Where can a fellow find new mags for them? I have just about worn out the mags on two of them!!

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Mommicked;

A possible, albeit expensive, magazine source...

Since the actions are so close, I have heard that CZ mags will work in some of those chinese .22 bolts, their mags will interchange.

May be worth a try...just find someone that has a CZ and is willing to let you try his...
Maybe a local gun shop would be willing to let you try shucking a few rounds through w/o firing.

If you do try this...let us know how it turns out...

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
CZ mags work fine. I have 2 CZ's & a JW-15 & swap mags back & forth between them pretty frequently.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Is it the CZ-452 mag? A company in Canada, called Marstar, has them, and said they'd be happy to send me some. I just didn't know if I'd be violating some law importing Chinese gun parts. :oops: Last thing I want is the Feds knocking my door in over some durn .22 mags :x . In Canada, they still have the M-14 (I had one) the 1911 .45acp (wanted one) and the JW-15 as well. Didn't know Kanooks could own pistolas though. :eek:

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Numrich Arms sells these magazines for about $28 each. I'd rather buy a CZ magazine for that money! The last JW-15 magazines I bought were on sale for $14 each a few years back and I bought 6 of them. They just don't wear out too fast. My BRNO magazines work fine in these rifles. Importation of the JW magazines is legal, BTW.

I looked at another JW today. The guy wouldn't budge from a $149 price tag so I left it. Too bad as it looked like a fine example. I did buy another Remington 581 with a 10 round magazine for $100 from the same guy. Go figure. I shot the 581 right away and it is a one holer at 25M using Sub Sonics. I'll do a trigger job on it tomorrow morning and take it rabbiting tomorrow afternoon. Should be fun. ~Andrew

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
One of mine came with a painted black fore end tip, and looks really classy. I've had folks ask about my .243, or my little .270! :lol: I have also made some of my more nefarious shots with it. 8) I currently have 3, on for me, and one for each of my two boys. :wink:

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Great Guns! I have a slew of them -I just gave one away to a deserving teenage son of a friend so I guess I'm down to 4 of them now. Hang on to them! Painted forend?? The "Deluxe" model! I have one I set up expressedly for shooting sub-sonic rounds and it's my favorite rifle for stalking prairiedog towns. It wil shoot Aguila or Eley subs into raggged holes at 50 meters! ~Andrew

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
The "Deluxe" model is quite literally the gun that taught me to shoot a rifle, with some help from an old Swedish Mauser from Kimber. I got tired of missing deer, and spent all my spare time one summer religiously at the range, with the JW-15. When I got home at night, my thumbs would ache from loading the mags over and over. Shooting steel sihls from 25-100, just a sound and some motion to tell hit or miss. It was several years (and a quite a few dead deer) before I missed another one! That beloved Swede has long been gone down the trade route :( but I still have the JW 15.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Thanks for the info on the clip arrangement..
ish I were near enough to take advantage of that Rem 581 for $100..nice long barrel, dedicated to subsonics and the $100 price is very tempting...
I have recently kept my eyes open for a #581 at a good price...

Why do you suppose Remington dropped them...was that artillery style bolt a bit too costly to produce ?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Ironglow: Sure. It was also over-kill for a 22LR and an off-shoot from their 5mm Remington project. I have decided to rebarrel that 581 with a BSA martini barrel that has a Parker-Hale (choke-bored) liner. Should be a shooting fool. If I run into another 581 I'll drop you a line. The last 582 I bought was only $120 witha Weaver 2-7X CF scope on board. It's a good shooter. The 581 series aren't very popular around here I guess....

When I rebarrel, I like to thread the reciever as they are very thick walled but I also have just epoxied the barrels into place which cuts down on the gunsmithing and makes for an accurate rifle. I fit the barrel and then drill and tap a 6-48 through the reciever into the barrel shank. (One continious thread throught both) A 6-48 screw will hold the barrel into place during test firing and marking the extractor cuts. It would probably hold the barrel into place, period, without the epoxy! I have a 580 (single-shot) action/stock laying around here someplace if you're interested in rebarreling one of these. Just get me an FFL copy.~Andrew

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Andrew said:
Kakemono: Did you get your JW?? ~Andrew
:( Computer foul-up. The store's computer said they had it in their vault. They had a picture of it with VERY nice grain in the stock. I sent them a money order. I recived the MO back the other day with an apology letter that somehow it had not been removed from their computer inventory list, along with a money order for an additional $5 for my trouble.

At first, I was very disappointed. But, soon after a guy offered me an excellent Stevens Favorite with nicest fiddleback walnut stock I have ever seen on a favorite for only $50 more. So, it all worked out OK, but I am still keeping my eye out for a gun like the JW in the picture.

Thanks again Andrew for the info!

BTW, I just picked up a new Simmons WhiteTail 2.5x8 scope for $50, dialed in the parallax to 45yds...it is an excellent scope for the $$.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Kakemono: Bummer. I don't know what you're willing to pay but the shop in Billings, MT still has one he wants $149 for. If you get the urge I'll get you the contact info.

Tha Favorite sounds nice. I have had a dozen of these rifles; many rebarreled and many relined. (This was when an original 1915 model sold for $50-60 in "grey" condition.) The coolest one I did was one that I rigged with a threaded insert for a barrel epoxied into the reciever. A shortened Remington 513T barrel was threaded to fit and the original barrel screw was utilized. It took a firm grasp to twist the barrel up the witness marks but then the screw sunk into a well fitted hole in the barrel shank, aligning the sights. The sights were a Lyman reciever sight and a german-silver front blade sight. I built the gun for a guy who ran trap lines and his wife sewed a lined canvas bag to keep the two halves in for transport. I had to rebuild (re-pin) the reciever and make a new firing pin but the gun shot great. I heard later that he fell on hard times and pawned it off for $50. I wish he'd a called on me! I'd have bought it back. What vintage is yours? New Model?? or old? ~Andrew

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mine is an old model. Like I said gorgeous wood and I just love nicely figured walnut. I always like something just a little different than the run-of-the mill.

BTW, saw your post about your BRNO 4. My #4 is probably my favorite rifle. It has an uncanny ability to shoot just about every kind of ammo very well. At 100yds on a calm day it will shoot about 1 out of 4 five shot groups under 1/2 ctc with old Lapua MultiMatch. It has a 2oz trigger with a 40x scope. Don't know whether you remember from years back, but you helped me figure out where to get scope bases and rings for it. That might have been in the old MarlinTalk days.

I'll continue to keep my eye out for a JW15, but that one I was looking at had the nicest wood I have seen on one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts