Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you guys know of any commercially loaded cast 357 loads other than the buffalo bore. I am having a hard time reloading cast, and was wondering if my rifle just will not shoot cast bullets.

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
I haven't looked very hard for factory cast 357 loads. The only ones I have used were for hunting. Federal makes a hard cast 180gr round that has proven to be great on deer. They list it as a handgun round but it does very well in my wife's 1894C. I chrono'd it last year but don't remember exactly what the speed was. I believe it was about 1500fps at 10-15' from the muzzle. Federal's stock number on it is P357J. That may not be what you were looking for as Federal lists it as a deer hunting round from the deer icon shown on the ammo page.

Have you tried someone like Black Hills Ammunition? They make some cowboy style ammo but not sure if it is in .357. Good luck on your search.

Reactions: kayaknjames

·
Registered
266 Posts
If you reload, cast bullets are a lot cheaper than jacketed. What kind of problems are you having?

If you have feeding problems in a rifle, the bullet shape may be the cause. Semi wadcutters (and flat wadcutters) don't work as well as round nosed flat points (RNFP). They take an extra jiggle of the lever sometimes. I use Laser-Cast bullets from Oregon Trails.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Any of you guys know of any commercially loaded cast 357 loads other than the buffalo bore. I am having a hard time reloading cast, and was wondering if my rifle just will not shoot cast bullets.
Have you tried Double Tap?

.357 Magnum 180gr WFNGC Hardcast:

DoubleTap Ammunition

[Disclaimer, I haven't tried these, just heard about them]

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have been using the Lyman cast manual, lyman dies, also bought the M die to expand the case mouth. Dardas 158 grain rnfp, and cast performance 180 grain rnfp. Pretty much have loaded per the manual as far as min to max on the powder charge, and keeping with recommended coal. Slugged the barrel, kinda confused about the 356 size. All the bullets i have tried have been .358. The 180 grain bullets did pretty good when pushed hard, but are pricey with the gas check. I am really looking for a load i can buy the bulk bullets for. I also have 125 grain rnfp, but have yet to try.
Thanks for the help and suggestions guys!

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Hard, heat treated, gas checked bullets sized to .360 should fix your issues to 1800 FPS.
They hug the bore, and are accurate to 50 yards.

I recently cast a pile of 200 grain bullets for .35 Rem and will be seeing what problems I have in .357 with them.
While they work well in single shots, I suspect OAL issues will prevent feeding in Marlin.
I'll keep you posted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts