Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just thinking that a butt cuff on a Sharps would look pretty cool, also very functional. I would like one to include bullet loops for at least 4 or 5 rounds. Seems like to me, an easy way to add a little extra weight if needed and possibly reduce some recoil. This could include maybe some recoil absorbing material. What do you'all thank. Any one have one on their single shots. Show us some leather potn.

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
I have a Quigley Sharps, but with the curved butt plate a full cuff wouldn't work. Recoil isn't bad anyway with a 13 lb. rifle. I do have the Shiloh leather raised cheek rest on it to align better with the MVA Winchester B scope. Not a bad idea if you have a shotgun stock on one though.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
My Shiloh came with a sling, ala butt cuff. Wonderful leather, looked really cool. Yanked that sucker all right away. G69 is right, at the weight of a Sharps, recoil is not much of a worry. As I recall, Shiloh sells a sling/cuff if you just gotta. Steve

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm just getting worked up about this Sharps thing. Its worst than Marlinistis. My Co-workers even said that they where thinking about asking the inmates to start a Sharps fund because all I do is talk about or leave pictures on the work computer like a screen saver so I can drool over them after a round LOL. I sure wish I could find a way to get one before I go to Kentucky hunting with Dad. That trip will probably be our last hunt in Kentucky. I guess a full size Sharps would be a little gangly with a sling. I still think a 4 or 5 round butt cuff would be nice. Those 5 inch shells might get a little uncomfortable in your pocket. I definitely would want a shotgun butt style stock. I noticed a big difference in my 44's. One had a crescent stock the other shotgun style. The 44's had very little recoil but that dang crescent stocked one had a stabbing bite to it.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I had some of the same worries, but what little I've shot mine, the steel crescent plate and all it's weight make recoil pleasant. Used guns are out there from time to time, good luck on your search. Steve

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I don't know where you'd have to go to get to a BPCR shoot, but usually there are vendors at these shoots. Likely someone willing to part with a rifle, just a thought. Steve

·
Registered
671 Posts
Like said above the recoil from a rifle with a full length octaganol barrel is nothing.

While double set triggers are nice, I still prefer the high wall myself.:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
How about something like this? Bayou Slings say they will make one for a sharps. they have already and the crescent doesn't matter. I use a cartridge pouch on my belt to hold the extra rounds. The sharps is heavy enough as it is without adding more to the butt!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just ran across this ,so getting in on it a little late. I made a kinda but-cover strap for my Old Reliable Sharps rifle. I hunt in the Desert canyons of far West Tx. and the sling really comes in handy for glassing . There is not many places to lean a rifle on around there. And anyone that hunts the open country knows how much you are behind the glass. Here is a pic. of my long range gun a C. Sharps heavy barrel 45/120 500. She is Big Medicine on desert Mule deer. DT.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks Sparky civil. The Sharps is a bit heavy ,and the strap is mighty handy. The leather but cover is my way of not drilling a strap mount into that XXX walnut. Plus it protects the steel bp. from the rocks .DT

1 - 12 of 12 Posts