Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
45/70 shooters, take note ---------

Reading last night in the new issue of Handloader magazine and they list a powder that might just be the step in between, a person seeks to fine tune that 45/70.

Not, that we don't already have many good to great powders, but firearms being the rules unto themselves that they are, maybe this will be the powder for you. Providing of course any is can be found!?!?

My old 1979 copyright Speer manual, lists about 59 "canister" powders, while my new Hornady manual lists 146 powders, and the subject of this writing, "LT-32" isn't even listed in the Hornady list.

The powder is spoken of in an article about new powders for the 30-30, but because it falls in burning rate, right between RL-7 and H4198 it just might also be very useful in the 45/70.

Because of it's burning rate, it is likely that it will also be useful for a range of Cast bullet loads/cartridges.

Although this powder has not been available as a canister powder, it is a decades old powder used originally by the military - so what's new -, but now being sold under the Accurate brand name, and made by General Dynamics in Canada.

Not that your likely to see much or any powder available for sale, but if your a cast bullet or 45/70 shooter you might keep your eye pealed for the Accurate labeled "LT-32"

Several good reads in the Handloader, ya might think about picking up a copy.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
7,734 Posts
I need a new powder. I need an old powder. I don't care. I'll take any powder I can find.

I'd rather see an article on how to make do with the powder we can find. I'm ready to start developing cowboy loads with shotgun powder...

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I hear ya HiKayaker!

But with the hit or miss availability of any powder, we can not always go with the old tried and true.

There is also a good article in the new Handloader magazine titled, "Supply, Demand and Resupply".

It is a good article on the subject you address.

So, that to say this, knowing what powders fill a given nitch may keep you shooting even if it is not tried and true.

Were I to see a jug of "LT-32" on the shelf somewhere, I'd now know it is very likely to, at the least, be shootable and maybe even very good in one of my cast bullet loads.

That is exactly why I bought a batch of IMR4198 awhile back when I found it. It, as should this "new" powder, will keep a bunch of firearms shooting. :biggrin:

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.