Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanting to say "thanks"

In the past 2 years, I haven't been able to reload or shoot near as much as I wanted to but I suppose that only puts me in a group of about 10,000+ of our members. Though I am going at about one fourth of the speed I was, I have been enjoying reloading some .357 mag loads for my recently acquired 1894 Carbine this past week.

Because of some of issues I have had, I have relied on certain members with their proven and tested loads to kind of "cheat" my own system of load development in the past year. In going through my notes and marked ammo boxes, I saw the names PJ (many times), Roe, biku324, 35Remmy, 35Remington, Swany, Charlie, Hal, and several more. I would read your successful results for the .357, .35 Remington, .38 Special, 40 S&W, 30-30, .45 colt and make a note of it. I have tried all of them with very satisfactory results but have yet to try Hal's loads for my .35 Rem Marlins using AA 2520 with 200gr FTX and 200gr Rem CL's. My BIL's 30-30 really liked the loads using 125gr Sierra's from 35 Remmy.

Nothin much else to say except ... thanks to everyone.

bjm

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
Re: Just wanting to say "thanks"

bigjeepman said:
... Nothin much else to say except ... thanks to everyone.
Yup... +1. Lots of good info on MO from lots of folks. Have been fortunate enough to meet Barenjager, can only hope to meet several others that have helped me wend my way through to some great loads.

Like BJM said... Thanks to everyone.

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts

Well Doug, all I can say is that every gun's a law unto itself, but when you hear of a load that seems to shoot well in a LOT of guns, you have a good place to start. Few if ANY of my loads are within 5% of maximum load data, and none of my standardized loads show any signs of pressure in my guns. Your mileage may vary.

Certain recipes that I've chosen as bonafide PJ loads:

38 Special, 4.1 WST, 158 plated bullet
357 Mag, 16.2 Lil Gun, 158 Rem JHP or JSP
30-30 Win: 30.2 IMR-4895, 150-grain Rem. Core-Lokt
35 Rem: 40.5 Varget, 200 Rem Core-Lokt (WORK UP TO THIS ONE!)
375 Win: 36.0 Varget, 220 Hornady FP
40S&W: 5.7 or 6.3 Power Pistol, 180-grain plated bullet
45ACP: 4.7 WST, 200 LSWC or plated flatpoint.

I don't recommend certain brands or types of primers or brass........most folks have their own favorites, and I'm not convinced there's that much of a difference in the results.

I have other favored loads, but I still like to experiment, so nothing's final. The 357 load has changed several times!

Glad you like them. 8)

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts

From me you are welcome and a great contributor yourself.

Ballpark loads and some not so ballpark, have come and went here, lot of info you don't find in the standard manuals of today.

Yet members have a lot of old manuals and have tested some not so standard recipes and published their findings.

Me I thank all the reloaders and members of Marlin Owners for all the good info, contributions and just plain good reading.

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

swany said:
Me I thank all the reloaders and members of Marlin Owners for all the good info, contributions and just plain good reading.
I very much agree Ed ...

Back to PJ's reply ... it is kind of funny that some "classic" loads seem to be inherently accurate. The one that comes to my mind first is my 44.0 gr of Varget ... 168gr Sierra MK ... in .308. It has been dead on in 3 of my .308's though I worked up to and over this load on every one of these rifles. It was the 44.0gr load that was spot on in all three.

35Remmy suggested a 125gr Sierra and 32.5gr of IMR-3031 and it shot lights out in two of our 30-30 Marlins. My BIL with the eyes of a hawk can bust 12oz colored water plastic bottles at 100 yards and factory sights with ease.

Anyway, my point was to thank all contributors to this reloading forum. I have learned a lot and hope to continue to use this info for a long time and contribute when I can.

bjm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts