Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having had the privilege of hunting, fishing, hiking mountain trails and desert sands, running rivers and border towns with the same crew
for 22 years ( some more than 30), I've been blessed.
Together we've lived through births, divorces, death of children, frozen feet, and well baked hides.
However, I guess time's catching up to us.
Oh, everybody's still in the race and pushing hard, but we're slowing a bit...
One guy (72, small guy vet, but tough as nails) had a black brain mold of sorts removed in March.
One guy (68, Army rotor head) has several issues with lung issues, stints, bacterial infectons, fluid retention, and today, blodd pressure
One guy's just quiet and OLD (88) but in great shape (Vet/4 purple hearts, silver star & other decorations but you'd never know it....)
One fellow (marine aviator) was diagnosed with multiple myloma three weeks ago and is deep in treatment (agent orange suspected near certainty)
One fine fellow (enlisted vet) came home from last year's dove hunt ...to an empty house and a note.
Two others (army rotor head and vets) have been diagnosed with "near diabetic" conditions and have controelled it with diet, at least for now.
Nicer group of guys can't be found, and I'm proud to help them all as best I can, as they have in turn helped me.
It's been 105 and 109 for three weeks here, and every last gentleman is planning a 600 mile trip for an annual dove hunt in west Texas, and again take over the run down fleabag motel we've nursed for 20 years, and share an evening wild game dinner with border gaurds, local law sheriffs, and game wardens.
Wives ask why we go.
You understand,.... it's not about hunting...

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
pls1911 said:
it's not about hunting...
Well, it is....But it isn't. ;)

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
pls1911 You guy's keep it fun.... and thank the border patrol they do a thankless job....tell them for me they can grow up to be just like you :)

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
The best of mates is the best. 8)

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
Have fun and enjoy the memories.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great... sounds like a few folks really do understand.

On a lighter note, one of the wives did venture out with us one year.
Upon trying to check in, she returned to the car and demanded to be taken to El Paso to the airport....IMMEDIATELY!!!
She refused to stay anyplace where they handed you a bucket when you checked in...
She had to ask..."What's the bucket for???
Says our friend the innkeeper "Smiley"..."Pleasss forgeev, meees, but the lady she want the toilet to flush, Yes?"

Never had another wife want to go..
Geez... I just can't figure it out... The potties almost always flush down, the shower will usually drain by noon, and only room #9 has a bathroom door that won't close...
and the keys to 14 will open any door in the place!!!
Besides... it's only $80 a night...
(I take my own bedroll and sheets, a couple of fumigant cans and YardGaurd)
Every year is an adventure.

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Sounds wunderful to me and my kind :D. Enjoy every minute and like Tim McGraw sings ... "Live like you were dying ... "

bjm

·
Registered
221 Posts
You are right...it is not about the hunt.

It is about the brotherly bond. Some do not understand that...and they are the less for that.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Can I go?

Quals...

Retired AF
Disability for asthma
Don't mind crappy living condition especially if no one's shooting at me.
Can drive from San Antonio...
I need some Texas compadres to hunt with...

NGH

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
NGH, sorry I didn't get ack to you before the opener.
There's about 300000 acres of open land out there, mostly sand and grease wood.
This year ws a near bust due to the drouth. Folks are choosing betwen cotton and alfalfa to irrigate, due to scarcity of water.
birds were few in the desert, as all tanks and flood control lakes were ry.
Did find a simpathetic dairy farmed who let on the backside of his place between the feed lot and the Irrigation lake, so a fair shoot was still had.

Told the wife I shot Bob's "dairyair".... she didn't think it was funny.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts