Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've finally decided to get into reloading and have an initial question. I'm interested in reloading for 45 Colt (Winchester Trapper and Ruger Vaquero/Old), 30-30 (Marlin 336ss), 35 Remington (Marlin 24" barrel, short mag), and 45-70 (Marlin ported Guide Gun). Later I'll look at .308, 30-06 and 357 mag. I'm leaning towards hard cast lead with gaschecks if needed and will be focusing on mid-power (non-plinking) to mid-high power, accurate loads. Probably non-hunting for now but CA hogs and Oregon deer could soon follow. So I want to gear up for one cartridge to learn and gain experience on reloading. Which cartridge would you recommend to start with to best gain this initial experience? 45 Colt, 30-30, 35 Remington, or 45-70? I have some Lee equipment already and have no problem going the non-progressive, dipper and deliberate route to gain knowledge. Thanks.
Hannibal-8

·
Registered
504 Posts
I would say the 30-30 or the 45-70 because they are rimmed, and the 30-30 stuff is cheaper, so go with the 30-30 for the rifle right now and also do the .45, big rim, good plinker to start out with.

have fun! ;D

If you know somebody at the range that lives nearby you can hit them up for help and there are videos on youtube now too.

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
I'd start with the straightwalled 45 Colt. No gas checks needed.

Then move on to the 30-30 or 45-70. Now gaschecks, lube, and all the other fun stuff come into play. Once you get the 30-30 down pat with the neck, you're ready to move onto other stuff fairly easily.

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Thren68 said:
I'd start with the straightwalled 45 Colt. No gas checks needed.

Then move on to the 30-30 or 45-70. Now gaschecks, lube, and all the other fun stuff come into play. Once you get the 30-30 down pat with the neck, you're ready to move onto other stuff fairly easily.
I agree ... start with the .45 colt.

bjm

·
Registered
592 Posts
Straight walled pistol rounds are easier. No lube to mess with, denting case shoulders, or trimming cases. The 45 can be expensive, so you'll be saving big time right out of the gate.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks folks - I'll start with the straight wall 45 with 250-300 lead at roughly Mach 1 speed. Gain experience and move to 45-70 then 35 and 30-30. There will also be a 303 british in there someplace for for my SMLEs. These were my first centerfire rifles and they have been ignored too long for lack of decent ammo. This is going to be a fun summer. Thanks for your advice and counsel.
Hannibal-8

·
Registered
882 Posts
For powder, try starting with IMR Trail Boss. It is not position sensitive and is almost impossible to double charge. It can be used for reduced velocity loads for all the calibers you listed.
You should put all of your charged cases in a loading block and inspect the powder level in them with a flashlight (led light best) before seating bullets. This is especially important when using dense pistol powders.
M

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
Hi Hannibal-8 (Are you any relation to Professor fate? ;D)
That sounds like a wise decision, take it slow and steady and your reloading will yield a fun and satisfying past time and a slightly larger bank balance. You may even move on to casting .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good advice on the powder and procedures. I was thinking about H110 or Lil'Gun fro the 45 colt; Lvr for the 30-30 and 35 and H4198 for the 45-70. I'm sort of amazed how relatively inexpensive the powder is. It looks like about $22-25 for a pound and at 20-30-40 grains per load that equals quite a few rounds for me and the price will allow for controlled experimentation. I like the idea of a powder choice and load close to the base of the cartridge to avoid the double charge or super-charge mistake. I've got everything for the 45 colt except for the powder. Next week for sure. It sounds like the next useful purchase will be a simple chronograph to chart my progress. The 45 colt will sort of be a compromise load since I want to use it in both my Trapper and Vaquero. I'm shooting Buffalo Bore stuff now and it is great for the Trapper but not fun with the six-gun.
Thanks for the guidance.
Hannibal-8

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And to Moofy07. Good call on Prof Fate. I've used the Hannibal-8 name on a dozen sites for at least 10 years and you are the first to identify the source; The Great Race (1964) Jack Lemmon/Tony Curtis. I just had to pick it as my middle name is Hannibal.
Thanks

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
Hi H-8,
Yeah, great movie, watched it 1000 times and still get a big laugh out of it. Favourite part is the PIE fight. Plus the rest of it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts