Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a new Lyman T mag ll Hornady powder thrower and a set of Hornady digital scales yesterday. Planning on loading for my 22-250, 7mm Rem mag & 45-70. What are good dies now days, used to use lee ones back in the 90's are they still allright? and is their a powder that would be suitable for all 3? Was thinking Imr 4198 or similar behind Ballistic tips and probably gummies for the 45-70

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Lee dies are just fine. You can get a medium speed powder like Varget to run in all three, but it will be a compromise. The 7mm Rem Mag really wants something slower and the .45/70 wants something faster.

IMR4198 would be too fast for .22-250 or 7mm Rem Mag. Good powder for the .45/70 though.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks imashooter2, just looked up hodgdons website and came to the conclusion that their would be to much compromise in going for just 1 powder. Have they backed off the 7mm rem mags they won't reach factory specs for the 150s

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
I'm afraid I don't have first hand experience with 7mm Rem Mag, but I will note that factory numbers are often somewhat optimistic...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts