Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wasn't hard at all now I just need to know what to measure. The lands or the groves when determining cast size.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
11,362 Posts
The slug is a mirror image of the bore. The smallest you would want to size a bullet is the groove diameter, the largest diameter. Most folks seem to size the a couple of thousandths (.002") over bore or so. good luck! Keep us posted, we want to see pictures of your groups and your bullets. AC

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
tcarter86, just to make sure we're all on the same page, you want to measure the widest points, this is the groove diameter of the bore. The smallest diameter of the slug is the bore diameter of the gun. I just wanted to make sure we were all thinking the same. Take care, John.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Now your cooking with gas!!! Glad you got the diameter figured out, many lead bullet manufactures out there, several on this site as sponcers. You may also want to consider casting your own slugs, another very facinating area of our madness, gotta love this stuff. Take care, John.

·
Registered
275 Posts
If I were you (and I'm not but) I'd order some "stones" from Doc!

Reactions: GrondHamar

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks all.

i would be wanting a cast bullet for deer and hogs. i was thinking about beartooth bullets 425grn WLN GC. i think its the pile driver junior.

how do i see the varieties doc has to offer?

thanks all

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is there a link to docs bullets?

One last questoon is can I just buy a bigger expander plug for my regular rcbs dies.

I would hate to buy a full set of dies if I already have some.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I have wondered why you shoot a jacketed bullet at .458" but want to shoot a .460" cast from the same .458" bore gun?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi bill

I thought the norm was to go over what the gun slugs at by .002

I'm a newb with cast so please correct me if I misunderstood.

Thanks

·
Banned
217 Posts
Thanks glock ill be measuring the widest parts
I believe what you he is saying the widest part of the gun, is the narrowist part of the slug you pushed through, which is made by the grooves of the barrel.

I just did my first one, and I am not an expert, so I am asking too.

I made slugs by melting fishing weights in brass shells, and then remove them with a reloading bullet puller.

What I learned is this does not work with S&Ws since they have 5 grooves.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Is there a link to docs bullets?

One last questoon is can I just buy a bigger expander plug for my regular rcbs dies.

I would hate to buy a full set of dies if I already have some.
You do not need to buy a bigger expander plug. Just adjust yours as usual to bell the case just big enough to accept the bullet.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Unfortunately at this time I can no longer sell boolits :( Heck, Im having a hard enough time making them at this point..... I hope an adjust of the meds helps but i gotta see the Dr first.

A 460 will be fine in your rifle and I do suggest to either get a Lyman "M" die for expanding or even a Universal expanding die...

Doc

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I thought the norm was to go over what the gun slugs at by .002

This seems to be the accepted standard but why?

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Bill,

At the factory they make the chamber a bit larger then the rifling of the barrel so it can accommodate all sorts of rounds. This is where leading comes from... When using lead boolits you need to try and fit the boolit to your chamber better to keep the hot gasses from going around the boolit right when the round is fired as the hot gasses will melt the surface of the lead and leading will occur. Fitting the chamber better cuts down on gas cutting and helps keep leading down, the .002 is a standard that someone came up with the help alleviate problems with shooting lead boolits.

If you really wanted to do it right you would do a chamber cast and make a boolit that fit your chamber perfectly... but really not necessary!

Doc

1 - 20 of 22 Posts