Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just picked up another marlin this weekend.
It's a 60's model .444 with a gold trigger and Monte Carlo stock.

It has beautiful wood but it's been used, and the blueing has seen better days.
Someone added a scope rail, rings and a cheap scope.

I'm debating wether or not I should just use it as my beater for hunting or should I have it professionally re blued and have some attention given to the wood?

I'm not sure of the value or collectability of this rifle which is why I'm asking although I would like to have some fun shooting it for a while at least before I do anything to it.

I will post some pics of her tomorrow as well as first few of serial for year.

It looks just like this one in the first picture in the fourth post.
http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38452&start=0

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
I have '65 that's just getting broke-in. Slick as snot it is.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Shoot it for a while before making any decision....

Reactions: glockmeister

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
444 are made to shoot. They hate to be closet queens. Unless it's a NIB 1960 444 its not realy a unique rifle. All Marlins will apreciate just because its a JM without a bar safety. My opinion, and everyone has one, shoot it until you get tired of it. You can re blue the barrles usingthe stuff they sale at hard ware stores for buring out the roots of a tree you may have cut down. I will try to vet the name of the bluing stuff. I used it on e to re blue my 36 A. The trick to bluing is the preparation and cleaning of the parts to be blued. When I did my rebluing job, I use break cleaner on all the parts to be sure all the oil and crud was gone. Good luck with what ever you do with that prize. You will love shooting tha 444.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I have a 1971 444s that is in the same condition as your 444. Mine is a shooter and I think the battle scars add character so I am leaving it as is. FWIW, my friend with a gunshop says refinishing an older gun usually reduces the value.

BB

·
Registered
395 Posts
I just picked up a 444 just like Johnzans my serial number starts with AA.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I'm debating wether or not I should just use it as my beater for hunting or should I have it professionally re blued and have some attention given to the wood?
If getting her re-blued, and the wood getting attention, means not hunting the gun, don't do it. Use her as a beater, rather than set her up as a range/safe queen. You can always opt to re-finish her later, at which point you may well keep hunting her anyways.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I was wondering if a re blueing would decrease any value.

Call me nuts but I had visions of a parkerizing job, doing the wood custom stained black so you could still see the pretty wood grain, shortened barrel with a slightly larger loop, scout rail and a small, sinister scope, leather butt cuff with matching sling.

You know, a money pit toy.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If getting her re-blued, and the wood getting attention, means not hunting the gun, don't do it. Use her as a beater, rather than set her up as a range/safe queen. You can always opt to re-finish her later, at which point you may well keep hunting her anyways.
The only thing is that none of my marlins are safe queens although they may look like it as I try to take safe precautions while handling them in the woods I've got the eeny, meeny, miney, mo thing going on when it's time to choose which rifle. I take on a hunt.
For deer it's either my 69 30-30, the tack driving .308 express, or my .444 XLR when I'm in bear country so I can definitely afford some down time without this early .444.

Regardless what I do I just feel better that I rescued it from being a safe queen in some strangers gun prison.........time to stretch those legs.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
You will love it and if the first 2 letters are AA then its the first year production 1965
I love my 65 and its my Goto 444 as I do have 5 to pick from
Reload some BTB 290gr LFN with reloader 7 around 49 to 50 grains of powder and watch stuff fold up:eating:

Then gun in my signature is the 65 with a nice Muley from 2012 and it folded up right were it stood

Reactions: mt_sourdough

·
Premium Member
4,170 Posts
Yeah I was wondering if a re blueing would decrease any value.

Call me nuts but I had visions of a parkerizing job, doing the wood custom stained black so you could still see the pretty wood grain, shortened barrel with a slightly larger loop, scout rail and a small, sinister scope, leather butt cuff with matching sling.

You know, a money pit toy.
I have done many of the things you mentioned to my "70" T-4. Shortened barrel to 20", WWG trigger, similar refinish of metal (not Parkerized, a much harder/corrosion resistant finish) in black, Bedliner on wood, (mine was'nt in the best of shape) a leather sling (by Chance aka: Lever) "Williams" Ace in the hole base with a Leupold VXR Patrol 1X4 30mm scope in QR rings.

I guess my point is go ahead and do it...you'll not regret it!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You will love it and if the first 2 letters are AA then its the first year production 1965
I love my 65 and its my Goto 444 as I do have 5 to pick from
Reload some BTB 290gr LFN with reloader 7 around 49 to 50 grains of powder and watch stuff fold up:eating:

Then gun in my signature is the 65 with a nice Muley from 2012 and it folded up right were it stood
Nice, where did you hit him?
It seems to be the consensus when I talk to guys that hunt with the .444 and 45-70 that they seem to drop deer dead in their tracks.
I've yet to harvest one yet with the .444 but I hope to this coming season.

Mine usually run off and die but the quickest kill I ever had was a four pointer plugged with a 30-30 rem at 30 yards from a tree....I thought. I missed him because he just calmly walked off without even flinching then all of the sudden did a front flip over a branch and kicked like he was caught in a barbed wire snare for about half a minute.
The shot exploded his heart but I was so surprised that he never even flinched after or during the shot.....anyways I'm rambling on.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Nice, where did you hit him?
It seems to be the consensus when I talk to guys that hunt with the .444 and 45-70 that they seem to drop deer dead in their tracks.
I've yet to harvest one yet with the .444 but I hope to this coming season.

Mine usually run off and die but the quickest kill I ever had was a four pointer plugged with a 30-30 rem at 30 yards from a tree....I thought. I missed him because he just calmly walked off without even flinching then all of the sudden did a front flip over a branch and kicked like he was caught in a barbed wire snare for about half a minute.
The shot exploded his heart but I was so surprised that he never even flinched after or during the shot.....anyways I'm rambling on.
Sounds good, but with all do respect, until you see one hit one with your 444, YOU AINT SEEN NUTH'N YET!

The first deer I shot with my 444 was a doe at 35 yards. It didn't blow up it's heart. Instead it sprayed the heart ant lungs on the slope behind it like it was sprayed from a goopy aerosol can. I could stick my fist into the exit wound. That was one of the first generation 444 265 FTX bullets

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sounds good, but with all do respect, until you see one hit one with your 444, YOU AINT SEEN NUTH'N YET!

The first deer I shot with my 444 was a doe at 35 yards. It didn't blow up it's heart. Instead it sprayed the heart ant lungs on the slope behind it like it was sprayed from a goopy aerosol can. I could stick my fist into the exit wound. That was one of the first generation 444 265 FTX bullets
Good lawd!

·
Registered
424 Posts

My experience too, almost word for word :biggrin:
When the 444 hits, it is memorable.

My suggestion would be to keep the original original.
If there is something dramatically wrong with it, fix it, but it's hard to put 6" of barrel back on.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Yes its a 1966 as the others stated

The Elk was thru both shoulders around 130 yds Went straight down so hard bounced on to its back I stood there in disbelief.

The Buck was facing me at 90 to 100yds went thru the left front shoulder and exited the right rear quarter.

You could eat up to the path of the bullet on both, you waste no meat with cast.

Marshall once shot a Bull Moose at 200yds with the 290 BTB it disappeared so he started walking over and saw a divet in the Granite rock behind where the Moose was standing. At first he thought he missed as he had found where the bullet hit. When he looked down between the boulders there lay his Bull Moose. Complete pass thru both shoulders at 200 yards.

That is something not done by many Lever guns or Bolts for that matter

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
It would be a shame to alter the old gal, if you want her to be all she can, then leave her alone, after all she sports a 1-38 twist, which needs all the barrel she was born with to get the most from her! Clean her up, leave off the makeup and earrings, and let her impress the shooting world with her used, but natural beauty!

The old 444's have so much going for them, it's hard to notice if you don't have a newer model to shoot and compare it to. IMHO the 24" barreled 444's are the very best ever made!

Reactions: utahtrapper
1 - 20 of 31 Posts