Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been thinking of a new shotgun (among other guns of course hehehe), not really sure what I want, but have narrowed it down to two;

Coachgun, can't afford a CZ and don't want a chinese century, is the Stoeger capable of handling steady diets of 00 and slugs ? Any other mid priced guns with hammers that I'm missing? Hammer's are preferred but not a deal breaker.

Semi-auto, been looking at the Mossberg Signature series, Jerry Miculek uses these and his video is very impressive to say the least, but then we are talking about MR. Miculek here.

Does anybody use these two? I shoot game loads, 00, and slugs almost at an even ratio from clays to milk jugs full of water. Blasting to plinking(?) with slugs. I shoot breech loaders and an 870 now, with the 870 leading the pack for durability and reliability. What I don't want, is buyers remorse. I've checked the sass site and about every review I've found, now it's time for personal input from experience. These two styles appeal to me, definently on a budget so high priced race guns are out and I buy "off the rack" if ya know what I mean. I'm not keen on "O" rings and other rubber parts, I like steel and wood, but synthetic stocks pass.

So, what are your experiences with these two classes? What do you like, or don't like about your choices? Thankyou.

·
Super Moderator
7,957 Posts
If I was looking for a cheap, reliable double barrel, I would try and find a Savage 311, I really don't care for all the Turkey, Russia, China made Guns, even though I have a Competition Remington Spartan 20ga over and under that I went through and it is a real good Clays gun, I'm deadly with it! As for the Mossberg, it's been tested enough to say, it can work great, if I was in the market for 3" auto, tactical that's the one I would look at really hard. I do need a couple more 835 Mossbergs and a Browning over and under in 3.5"

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
I have a Stoeger coach gun supreme by the bed every night. It is a very well made, nice looking, reliable gun. I had a Spartan coach gun prior to the Stoeger and the Stoeger is a much better gun. My other shotguns are a pump (good old reliable 870) and a single shot trap gun I inherited from my dad. For the uses you describe, I'd look seriously at the Stoeger.

Reactions: Pat/Rick

·
Registered
133 Posts
I don't know enough about the coach gun entries to be of any help, sorry.

But as far as the semi autos go I would look Tristar for new, and look for an old Remington 1100 or 11/87, Beretta AL, 301, 302, 303 series, or Franchi AL series. All have a proven track record and parts are still pretty easy to find.

·
Registered
956 Posts
The stoegers Ive looked at didn't look too bad but I have never fired one. The old stevens anf savage doubles are very nice as well. I have the baikal you saw in the other thead. The fit and finish is very nice for a shotgun in its price range. Only time will tell on its longevity. But I wouldn't say I've been easy on it so far. Used it for clays a little. Boy was that challenging. Also put some buckshot through it and it has been performing great. It already has some scraps and dings from being used haha. If you can find one local take a look at them. They might surprise you. There are versions with and without hammers.

Only semi auto I have owned was a saiga. I've been thinking very hard about saving for another semi auto lately though. Been drooling heavily over the franchi affinity and the beretta a300 outlander.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Consider going to a few shows, or one large one, and looking for an older "hardware store" double. Chop the barrels at 20" and you have your own coach gun. You should ve able to pick one up for 200-250, in good repair except for cosmetics. Look for a boxlock and not a sidelock. You can even find some hammer guns without Damascus for smokeless rounds.

My favorite SASS shotgun is a Manhattan Arms 12 g double that I paid 100.00 for. It's solid and reliable. And looks good.

The older doubles are rather solidly built and if you chop the barrels, you're left with a cylinder bore. Little danger of back pressure there from buck and slugs. No steel shot though...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts