Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those in the know,

Greetings to all. I was at the local gun shop and wanted to finally get my hands on a Marlin 39A. They didn't have it in stock. The clerk came back from checking the inventory with a 1897 cowboy octogon barreled 22. I liked it although it has the straight grip like my 1895GS. The feel of this smaller rifle was pretty good.
I would like to know if anyone has anything they would like to say and or share as to this particular rifle.

Thank you all,
Dan :D

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Lone5rings said:
I would like to know if anyone has anything they would like to say and or share as to this particular rifle.
I wish I had one...

I really like the look of 1897 Cowboy. The hex barrel is a classic style that I find very appealing. Occasionally I'll see an 1897 Cowboy or Texan out at the range and they seem to shoot just as well as my older 39's (1965, 1974, 1988). The finish was excellent and the wood was better than any of mine.

I'd buy it if you can afford it. If you don't like it I'd bet there are more than a few of use that would take it off your hands or swap you an older 39A for it :wink:

·
Registered
111 Posts
The value on the 1897 Cowboy has really shot up recently. The Texans are worth more too. They are nice little guns. Snappier handling than the 39A with their light barrels and straight stocks.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
I have one of the 1897 Texan. Octagon 20" barrell. It is a sweet gun. How much are these going for now stateside? :eek: Here in Puerto Rico I paid an arm and a leg for it, but it might be the only gun I ever had worth more now than when I bought it. :lol: BTW, it has been fired, but it is in mint condition, and, no, I'm not selling it! 8)

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
If you have your heart set on a 39, then look around. There have been more variations than you might think. If you are more open minded, then consider the 1897. I have both and they are sweet shooters. The 1897 has the rebounding hammer, the push button safety (-) and another feature that many miss. On the left side of the reciever, there are two holes. One is for a visual inspection of the chamber for a round. I suppose it could be for venting, in case of a rupture also. In the lower hole, you either see the orange follower or a round in the magazine tube. I know that's all academic, as we all count our rounds as we shoot, don't we? The sights on my old 39A, are still better than the ones on this 1897, but not for long, as I am ordering some smaller files and finishing the job!

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
The semi-buckhorn rear and brass bead front sight that came on my 1897TEXAN were no good for me. The bead was way too small for my eyes and the rear not definite enough. Anyhow they got replaced with a firesight front and a Wiliams FP aperture rear. I had to drill and tap the side of the receiver, but that wasn't a big deal. It's 1000 % better now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts