Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just came back from the Rochester NY gun show with my first 336 in .35 Remington. There were only 2 35's at the entire 600 table show. One brand new with a tag price of $475 and a used one. It's an older gun without the crossbolt safety, 1972 according to the serial number. It shows a little wear but not bad for under $300. Blueing is 90%+ with decent bore & crown. Not sure what the micro-groove rifling is supposed to look like, but there is some there.

Picked up a box of the new Hornady ammo and with some of my reloads from my Thompson Contender .35, will head out to the range tommorrow.

Since this is my first Marlin and lever action, just how do you clean a lever action? I've heard horror stories about using non coated cleaning rods. I would assume its the same as cleaning my M1 Garand. Just be careful around crown.

Can't wait to get to the range.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Clean it from the chamber end never the muzzle.. . I use just reg Hoppe's cleaning kit for mine.. ..

its easy to take apart a marlin and put it back together.. for cleaning.. look in Reference Section on it.. Call Marlin's toll free number and have them send you a owner's manual for it..

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
PS: in tuning a lever action sticky post you will see dissasembly instructions..

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
That is one of the really nice things about a Marlin, take the screw out of the lever with the lever half open and it slides out, pull the bolt out and drop the ejector out into your hand. Then as GJ said clean from the bolt end. You will never mess up your crown that way. When you put the ejector back in just slide it in the slot till the post goes into the hole, very easy to do. PS as a word of warning catch the ejector when you turn the rifle sideways to let it drop out, lost one once and never did find it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
If you are only cleaning the bore, another option would be to get a Bore Snake. I have several and use them a lot. If your bore is extra dirty you will need to use a rod and brush, but for most cleaning the snake works well.

You will also hear horror stories about coated cleaning rods.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Cleaning from the breech is always preferable. If that is not possible, along with ideas mentioned above, brass muzzle guides are very useful. They come in 2 sizes.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Be carefull...they are addictive...
.35 may be my next one...or maybe a BIG BORE for more punch...
Funny thing is that I've owned this 30-30 for almost 75 hours and I'm thinking about the next one.
Enjoy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts