Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day out there I have just picked up my first Marlin a 1895 45/70. At a recent gun show in my local area, Gympie Qld Aust. a fellow had it for sale. $650 was the sticker price, had a bit of look. She showed signs of some fairly ordinary gun smithing so I was a bit hesitant. It was the last day of the show and the seller was eager to sell I offered $400 and he took it fairly sure the gun smithing was just cosmetic ie. resight glued in place and fore end loose. It, after stripping her, is all cosmetic. I have to replace the fore end tip tenon and screws and the magazine tip screw and probably the fore end. It looks like the old girl has been carried in the out back on the tray of a ute, so much dust and crud in side her but that's just time and know how.

My serial number starts with a 21, as I understand it, that would make the year of Manuf. 1981 if I am wrong please let me know the serial# is 21065128.
Couple of questions: If I need a fore end where would be the best place to purchase same and the other parts I know I can purchase Brownells but they don't have any fore ends at present any suggestions or does anybody have a second hand fore end they are willing to sell swap or whatever?

·
Banned
8,177 Posts
100-21=79. Your gun was manufactured in 1979.I have seen forends for Marlins and other guns on eBay.Pics please

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Congrats on the new .45-70.

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Congratulations! Sounds like you have a labor of love project ahead. This is a perfect way to set up the rifle to your own unique tastes.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Congrats on your rescue of a fine weapon. There is something about a lever gun with honest wear. I too would love to see a pic or two of the old girl.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
001.JPG Photo as requested, bear in mind I sat the forearm in place without all the bits, just for the photo. The more I check this rifle out the less I think it has done. The oil and dust have solidified and become quite difficult to remove also making the action sluggish even after just a quick clean out with petrol she felt slick. Don't think it has seen any work for years. much of the internals are blue with little sign of wear, just hope she shoots which I wont find out about until I have all the new parts in place.

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Jagged a bargian there ****.

Good luck,
Mark.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I purchased my 1895 from my LGS who is also a longtime gunsmith. I am very happy with the rifle, the fit is good, it shoots really well, the checkering could be better but it's not a Sako. My LGS says he has recently sold five of these, he hasn't seen any issues with the rifles, and the new owners tell him they are happy with the accuracy.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jagged a bargian there ****.

Good luck,
Mark.
Yeah Mark I am happy with it, the bloke had another one which had been drilled and tapped for a side mount, it ruined the cosmetics of the old girl but I am now wondering if I shouldn't buy it as another project, though might have a bit of trouble getting that passed by the minister for finance.

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Congrats on that rifle ****! Looks like it will be a great shooter once you get it all sorted out! Keep us informed on how it goes!

·
Registered
20,502 Posts
Congrats!:tee:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts