Marlin Firearms Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
I recently bought a set of the Axil GS pro. Wore them all day at a pistol match both as competitor and RSO. Able to hear normal conversation and comfortable enough to wear all day. Shots seemed loud for having ear protection but they were hearing safe.
That jibes with my experience. My question is, how do you know they were "hearing safe?"

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
For our purposes, these will be used only for hunting! Which, ideally, means only one or two very high decibel shots to deal with.....hopefully, they will be adequate for that use! We will use other protection for our at home range use.....unless it’s lower decibel firearms!

For us, the primary concern is to be able to use amplified sound enhancement while having adequate hearing protection....when handgun hunting in the timber in grizzly country! Hopefully, having enhanced hearing will help prevent unwelcome surprises! memtb

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
You should be able to tell whether they will allow you directional hearing before you take them into the woods. Wear them outside. See if you can tell where cars are coming from down the road. Practice may help.

Make sure you have enough batteries with you when you go. At least one set per day hunting. And that you can change them easily.

Also, make sure that the buds fit snugly inside your ear canals and that they seal there. They will do very little good if the sound can get around them. And they need to be comfortable also as you'll be wearing them all day.

You might consider a tether line between the two to help prevent loss. If you are a heavy ear wax producer, have your ears cleaned out before you go. Insertion of the buds can cause ear wax to be pushed deeper into your canal, obstructing it. This will not help either your hearing or the buds.

The practical limit of hearing reduction is about 30-32 db. Sounds louder than that will be conducted through your head bones directly into your inner ear. So don't expect complete silence when you shoot.

For maximum protection I wear custom molded ear plugs with muffs over them. Reduction is still only about 30 db, but it helps reduce the concussion of the muzzle blast.

I've never tried the electronic devices intended for hunting. Typical electronic muffs are intended to pass speaking frequencies. Don't know how they would do on animal sounds, footsteps on leaves, breaking twigs, etc. Please let us know.

HIKayaker,

Well, I said that I would get back to you.......so, “hear” (pun intended) ya go! I received them yesterday, and fully charged them! My test was very brief (raining) and not extensive.

Sound reduction: At least as good as any ear plug that I’ve used. I only fired one round from my 460.....not bad at all!

Sound enhancement: When walking back to my range, I had them turned on to a pretty high volume. While just a sprinkle, the drops sounded pretty loud on the grass and barren dirt, and I could hear my footsteps quite well! When I turned around to walk back to the house, I was walking into the slight breeze...there was a very noticeable roar! But, as said, they were turned up high. I lowered the volume, and eliminated the roar!

Sound direction: While walking toward my range, I could hear traffic on the highway, a bit over 1/2 mile behind me. There was no problem determining the origin of the sound......however, this could be a “skewed” opinion, as I knew the direction of the road!

There you go.......my initial impression! memtb

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
@memtb Do you have a link to them? I went to the website and couldn't find thecGS Pro.

Thanks

Padraig

Padraig, I have the AXIS GS Extreme. I had to read through my posts to make certain that I didn’t misname them. I named them correctly in my first post......thankfully! The Pros may be muffs....I’m not sure!

Anyway, I’ve been wanting some form of ear protection/ hearing enhancing buds for awhile.....studied these, liked what we found, and gambled on them. Obviously, one day and one test means little.....but, so far I’m pretty happy! memtb

Reactions: Padraig

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
WHAT!?! :geek:

• Haha
Reactions: memtb

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
@memtb Do you have a link to them? I went to the website and couldn't find thecGS Pro.

Thanks

Padraig
Not the company website. Gives you an idea of cost if you don't mind Amazon. Haven't checked but I would imagine that Brownell, Midway USA, OpticsPlanet, etc will have them.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Not a bad price. Thanks.

Padraig

We bought 2 sets......a price break when buying 2 sets! As the wife and almost always hunt together, she would likely be pretty close when the 460 disrupts the “peace and tranquillity”! 😁 memtb

Reactions: Padraig and JACKTW

·
Administrator
28,718 Posts
We bought 2 sets......a price break when buying 2 sets! As the wife and almost always hunt together, she would likely be pretty close when the 460 disrupts the “peace and tranquillity”! 😁 memtb

The wife and I are interested and wondering whether the discount buying two sets beats Amazon's price of $149.99?

We plan on exploring the wilds of ID and will have a dog along, amazing what they hear/sense long before you do. Still, we need ear protection just in case.

Jack

Reactions: Padraig

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
The wife and I are interested and wondering whether the discount buying two sets beats Amazon's price of $149.99?

We plan on exploring the wilds of ID and will have a dog along, amazing what they hear/sense long before you do. Still, we need ear protection just in case.

Jack
Jack,

We bought them directly from goaxil.com. We bought the GS Extreme! They are $199 each or buy two for $258.70 with free shipping for anything over $50.

I hope that this helps! memtb

Reactions: JACKTW
21 - 32 of 32 Posts